Thursday, August 22, 2013

BLOG counters being fooled

Recently there has been a higher number of views for these blogs. Some part of me was hoping people liked had a mild interest in what I'd wrote, but unfortunately it's not the case. There's some nasty bits of software out there which fool BLOG sites they are being visited, when in fact they are not being visited by human beings, just pieces of software.  Then when you check out the audience for your blog you get redirected to an advertising site. I've been referred to a slimming site now a few times when trying to establish this additional audience. I've also pulled those popular blogs which seemed to be getting all the hits because they are effectively skewing the stats. I'm not as popular as I thought I might be. It's one of those typical little disappointments in life I'll just have to get over.  I'm sure it wont be the end of the world, but I'm not going to be fooled into a popularity contest. Or a slimming contest, whichever it may be.

I then started to do some research into those blogs which were more popular than the rest.  On why it is their traffic sources are that much higher. It seemed there was a common theme amongst them. They would be populist in much the same way a tabloid newspaper is.  For instance talking about famous personalities and how they were living their lives. I got enticed for all of twenty minutes as the nosey Parker in me took over.  Then found them to be boring, not things I'd want to follow for any length of time. Then I thought about something I once heard. It's not what other people think, but it's what the most important person thinks which matters. To me this is Sparkling Eyes. She reads my blogs on occasion and she thinks I have a writing talent. So what matters is measuring up to Sparkling's ideas not the rest of the world. The rest of the world can sleep and wake up in it's own time.

The question is whether I should keep the blog counter or whether I should take any notice of the stats the blog site keeps. For we're both being fooled.

No comments: