Friday, October 01, 2010

The sound of a phone call

It seems ages since I last managed to get a conversation with Sparkling.  So I decided to give her a quick phone on my lunch break.  I knew she had not been well lately, with some kind of flu like virus.  However, being we hadn't chatted I didn't know the extent of it.  Blimey.  When Sparkles answered the phone she didn't sound like she should of been up and about.  More like she should of been in bed with chicken soup and a pharmacological supply of the strongest medicines available.  Sparkles didn't even sound like Sparkles, she could of been someone quite different.  I knew though it was her number I'd rang.  Meanwhile,  this evening, Sparkling has gone to her Fish Factory to do a shift and will be off again tomorrow.  When in fact time recovering is what is needed.  I wish I could do something.  Sparkling, please take the time off if you are not up to it.  The world will carry on, even Rock Chick can do without a personal chauffeur.  Get well soon honey.

Back at the ranch, life carries on.  A colleague at the Fish Factory has left and decided to go back to school, or rather University than carry on working.  Another colleague today announced the start of their sabbatical leave with an intention of not coming back to the Fish Factory if they could help it.  But being one of the drinking pals of the after hours Fish Factory group this will mean their presence will be missed.  Gone will be the addition of acerbic wit over a pint of Stella and discussion about politics, films and music which I have never heard of before.

I'll have to find something else to do with my time after hours.  Even possibly play with the notion of return to the gym, which presently I've been avoiding.  Under my desk there lay a rucksack with trainers, and kit, just waiting.  To go and get used.  It must be lonely and dark under the desk as it sits waiting for use.  Mind I did leave an apple on top, if it feels hungry at least it can sneak out and have something nutritious.  Either that or I go and buy some chicken soup.  Who else could do with some of that?

No comments: