Friday, December 03, 2010

Enticing the snow and a dream of bare feet

Before this white stuff began I found myself getting angry.  I just wanted something to happen rather than the wind, rain and not knowing what coat to wear.  The notion came over me to stand in the back garden late one evening, then look up to the black cold sky and shout out at the top of my voice "come on!  Bring it on!  Bloody well snow, hail, whatever you want to do, but do something!  Do your worst, I'm waiting for it!"  At this point I was going to dramatically bear my chest, ripping open my shirt in a symbolic manner, then see whether I got struck by lightening.  I didn't act on this desire, maybe it saved the neighbours from ringing up the NHS and having me carted away.  Providing in this crazy age they hadn't run out of straight jackets. I was annoyed at the weather without any doubt in my mind.  The next day it snowed.  If thoughts are powered by magic beware because this would indicate sometimes they happen.

I had a dream.  No not the same as a famous black activist.  A dream.  This must of been sometime one morning which is the usual time I have dreams and then remember them.  Though I'm sure I forget about 90 percent of most dreams.  I was looking down at my feet, it was my bare feet, no shoes or socks.  I noticed my toes and the spaces between them, there may have even been some obvious dark hairs sprouting out of them, but that didn't matter.  I was standing up and looking down.  The ground was covered in snow, not deep snow just snow, and I felt no chill.  This could just be the nature of dreams which are abstract, symbolic and so never representative of what they appear to be.  However, besides the lack of chill I had a feeling of astonishment, or wonder.  It was like this feeling was asking the question, why am I looking down at my bare feet in the snow?  I must of held this moment of wonder for a few minutes, in real life I would of been scratching my head or holding my chin, just like a great thinker normally does.  Shortly I woke up.  The question wasn't answered, I threw the bed covers to one side, crawled to the window and looked out to see snow and no change in the darkened sky and the reflected street light making everything seem brighter than it actually is.  Getting up in the cold is a pain, so my ancient body relented to the need of rising and I puzzled no more about my feet, as long as I can still see them it's all I have to worry about.


To date I have not fallen on my backside, although I have noticed how my teeth feel more sensitive. Which could be because of my old age and they are about to drop out or because the cold is effecting them.  The alternative simpler explanation is I've lost a filling.  Probably eaten it with some fried rice.  Which is another thing the cold weather does.  It just makes you want to eat hot food.  Sandwiches never hit the spot.  Neither do little jacket potatoes with barely enough content to fit on a fork.  I had one of those the other day as well.

A recent weather forecast has indicated this may continue throughout the next few weeks and respite from it all only come the start of next year.  Oh well now for some good news, only 28 days to go.

No comments: