Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Wine at lunch and finding ice grips

It may be an error to drink wine at lunch time before you've eaten.  This I learnt today.  A group of us arranged to have a bite in a Chinese.  Not a Chinese bite which I'm sure would be painful rather than anything else.  I sat down and seeing as it was a semi Chrimbo event ordered a glass of red wine.  This was before I'd even began to eat anything.  The food took time to be prepared and I had to wait for my dish last of all, so by this time I had now finished my glass of wine.  It is so nice to be slightly intoxicated, relaxing and for some reason with the relaxation a happiness descends.  So I then ordered a second glass.  I did think about this first, the thought was along the lines of I'm quite chilled so a second glass will make me even more chilled and more happy.  However, I had to return back to the Fish Factory to do a bit of chopping up things.  Well, when I eventually got back to the Factory, I was so happy and relaxed I found it very difficult to concentrate for the rest of the afternoon.  Papers were put in front of me which I had to sign off, which I did without a great deal of checking what I was signing.  I could of signed off my organs to a third world country and the surgeons would of been waiting for me to walk out the door so they could claim them.  This didn't happen, I'm still in one piece, unless they were poor map readers on where to go.  Needless to say, I got out of the Fish Factory early, it just all seemed like too much work.  Next time I'll try and take an afternoon off on such an event, but of course it is always better with company than on your Jack Jones.

Yesterday it was cold.  There was a thick layer of frost on cars and this morning when I left it didn't appear so cold.  Yet I feel it's one of those situations where appearances are deceiving.  We've been told by the weatherman or weatherwoman, whoever catches your fancy, it will get very chilly by Thursday.  So this is something else to look forward to.  In the meantime I keep checking out Amazon and various other sites for ice grips which attache to the bottom of your shoes.  They have either studs, springs or spikes and allow you to walk with more safety on ice.  They are in a variety of makes and a variety of prices.  I even found on one web site how to make your own with pieces of metal which were cut and shaped, then you had to find straps from somewhere to attach them to your shoes.  They look very useful and may even be life savers, depending how you fall and how big your arse is.  Mind, falling on your bum can be painful as well.  This is something snowmen just don't have to worry about, they just stand still with their funny looking carrot noses and silently laugh.  Until they melt of course.  I suppose if I can't get hold of some ice grips I could always get an ice pick, if there are no ice picks maybe a hammer.  Or never go out.

I expect though the worst situation to be in would be both drunk and without ice grips.  Well at least I'd have a smile on my face and not worry about a bruised bum.

No comments: