Monday, October 03, 2011

Too many interruptions

I been watching TV and the provider is Sky.  For some reason now I get to advert saturation point pretty quickly.  A show which should last 40 minutes takes an hour with all the intermissions.  Even though I enjoy the show there becomes a point where I just don't want to watch the TV anymore.  I don't want to see the adverts or waste my life on them.  It's a shame because I don't get to see shows I like to watch.  The entire viewing experience is well and truly marred.  Or maybe it is just me.  Maybe I have got intolerant.  Too intolerant.  It does make me wonder why people subscribe to Sky if this is how they run their business.  They make an awful lot of money, but if they carry on like this surely viewers will migrate?  Or end up as vegetables as they sit in their chairs blubbering away.  Being fed spoon after spoon of brain diarrhea.   There is only one alternative turn over to the good old BBC and hope it's not soap night.

A few days ago for some unknown reason my tolerance hit another low.  I did not even want to view a computer monitor to write a blog or catch up with a soldiers game on Face book.  I had again an awful desire to pick up a book.  The desire of brain needing a feeding.  I also wanted quiet.  Quiet with no auditory interruptions.  Be it the sound of neighbours screaming children through paper thin walls or someone trying to talk to me.  I went to bed and even then as I lay there unable to sleep (because the room was too hot), my mind raced away as though it were full of nothing but distractions.  I couldn't even go into a dream world because as soon as I did another dream wanted to take over.  This is in part a reflection of my time at the Fish Factory where there seem to be a hell of a lot piranhas about all wanting a nibble.  Except their teeth make the nibbles feel like savage tears.   Tonight I could probably stay up awake and fully alert now to 2 a.m. and reluctantly go to bed knowing I have to sleep but finding there are things out there to get me.  Not things under the bed or little green men about to abduct me.  More along the banal side of things.  It's not a matter of being paranoid either, it's about cognitive interruptions and the need for a breather.

As someone once said to me, you're a long time dead, so get over it.

No comments: