Wednesday, October 26, 2011

5 Sleeps to Malta

This was my last day at the Fish Factory, I just let myself chill more than ever.  Bombs exploded around me but there was no disruption to the thought I would shortly be somewhere else.  Some other place, away from it all.  Nothing mattered.  It's an odd perspective, a little like realising you are only human and everybody else is human.  We are all in it together and nothing mattered.  I must of been having some funny turn.   I feel more human than I have felt for a long time, as if every second is precious and important.  A very odd notion, but quite a nice one. 

There are moments and these are the things which link us together.  Finding our own breaths of fresh air.  There was no way Sparkling would get away from her Fishes unless she was taken away from them and given this space.  So in 5 sleeps she'll be completely removed, over a thousand miles away.  The Fishes may call out for her to return to the pond and be on their demand, but they will get no response.  Instead, we'll be sat at a table in the autumnal Mediterranean sun, sipping a drink, eating a snack which Sparkles will not be allergic to and soaking up the atmosphere of a different land altogether.  To the north approximately 90 kilometres away will be the island of Sicily, whilst heading south over the sea is Tunisia and the now free country of Libya.  Northern Africa.  A far cry from Scotland, where the summer was pretty much non existent as far as Sparkling was concerned.  Rain and overcast most of the time and now with winter on the doorstep Sparkles will be delighted.  I can see her now pulling her pink suitcase, and smiling.  Saying "I am so ready for this."  My thoughts will echo the same.

Malta is a strong catholic country from reading the literature.  I'm not sure if I will kiss the ground when I get off the plane, something the old pope used to do.  I don't think the new one would it would be a blasphemy to his designer shoes.  I might do though, just might.  Come get me sunshine I'm waiting for you.

No comments: