Monday, July 30, 2012

Don't give me your specs i want my own thanks

When someone in a position of authority says something, it is usually taken what they say is true or factual.  At which point they then give an explanation and expect an answer to what they have already said.  Yet, the more I think about it, nobody should give an answer to a question which has long term effects.  Further it is necessary to do your own diagnosis.  Imagine going to the opticians, you tell the optician what the problem is, they listen for a moment then offer you their own glasses.  Saying these glasses have worked wonders for them over the last ten years, they are great, and it's OK because they have a spare pair, they like you as a customer and think these will sort out all your problems.  So, you then put those glasses on, well, you don't know for sure although there is a little doubt creeping into the back of your mind.  Peering at the chart you realise they are even worse than the glasses you had taken off in the first place.  You say this to the optician and the optician replies you have got to have faith put them on they will do the job.  Again, you put them on stare at the chart and with all the faith in the world do your best to will the glasses to work.  Nothing happens, they are still just as bad.  You say so to the optician and he feels insulted as he has given you his own glasses and feels you are throwing a gift back at  him.  The moral of the story is, you can not have a treatment or prognosis until you have done a full diagnosis of the situation.

There I was in a meeting of middle fishes and a couple of bigger fish.  The big fish were saying we are not up to date with our quotas.  Things have to change, has anyone got any ideas otherwise they suggested we would do things differently.  The big fish did not present any data, the situation was relayed verbally.  I could not believe what I was hearing.  I looked at my own data and it didn't add up.  The group went into discussion about the Olympics and didn't consider the further consequences of what had been said.  This evening I then went onto the official Fish web site, where the statistics should of come from.  The ones these big fishes were talking about and slapping us middle fish around the face with.  I found after delving down layer upon layer what I wanted.  The data published was 4 months out of date.  I am now seriously wondering if these big fishes have been to the wrong opticians. 

I'll not go into how annoyed I got when the bunch of big and middle fishes rather talk about the Olympics than discuss how in ten minutes they had completely reformatted the Factory on faulty information.  The problem is I hate making decisions fast.  They are usually bad decisions and this had become a bad decision.  In my eyes very bad. 

Tomorrow I will head into the Fish Factory with some Mr Magoo spectacles, in my pocket and ask each of the fishes if they would like to try them out.  Well.  Who knows, it might work.

No comments: