Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Symptons of age, go away!

Sparkling has broken or chipped a tooth, it doesn't hurt too bad so she has an appointment with the dentist next week. She picks up the TV remote looks at it and wonders about making the phone call.  Something hasn't fallen into place.  It's a remote.  She realises and can't understand why she picked up the remote to make the phone call.  Although the remote and the phone are both black and similar to a degree it would be useless for phone calls.  I text Sparkles as I've been trying to ring her this evening but there is no reply.  Maybe she is out shopping or something I think.  I get a reply back from Sparkles, she is working and I should know this because I've already been told.  I can't remember.  Sparkles is worried if the dentist pulls the tooth all the others will then follow in a matter of time.  I'm worried my hair is falling out and going grey.  Sparkles has just had a new set of lenses put in her glasses frames.  I'm having trouble focusing properly with my own glasses on.  I have got to see the opticians, or rather make an appointment.  We are both starting to feel the effects of ageing.

However, there has to be a good side to getting older.  Besides waiting for entitlement to a free bus pass around town.  Then there is the ability fart at any time and without having control over it.  OK I'll own up to this one, and maybe it isn't an advantage of age at all.  But there is a certain perverse enjoyment which comes from a fart, except when you have to keep it quiet because there's people about.  Noisy traffic or other noises helps.  In polite society as you get a lot older people are kinder to you, but I'm beginning to think this does not exist in present society, for it seems a lot more of a rat race and all for oneself.  I've seen this become affirmed stereotypical behaviour with some groups.  Older should mean wiser, but this I disagree with because I've argued with older people who had weird opinions I could not agree with in any time space or universe.  Which is a quality of old age, being opinionated and not caring what other people think.  Old people are seen as slow and not with it at times intellectually.  The slow part is true and I'm the kind of person who would do things slow just to piss off other people, like putting shopping in a bag.  As for intellect, this is highly dependent on the individual.  Keeping a sharp mind is a personal thing, reading, writing and doing puzzles all help.  Watching too much TV and not caring about your own mind will effect this.  Then there is the ultimate race to the end of life.  In age the value of time and other people should be heightened even more.  I get to reflect on this even now and it does change me.  It helps me to let go of things which would normally wind me up. I let go because they should have no place in life.  Happiness does though, very much.

I am more prone to being content and finding contentment.  I admonish myself for being unhealthy and over weight then don't worry.  Or I'll make a conscious effort to try and change things, just as I am now.  By trying to sit up straight and not slouch.  I love the company of younger people and to listen to their opinions.  Mostly this will tend to be nephews and nieces.  If they talk rubbish I tell them it is rubbish and entice them to argue with me, I want them to develop, to not be afraid of an older person or with arguing with someone else regardless of their position.  I've seen low self esteem and fear of authority figures get in the way of rottweilers.  In the end I realise more often the biggest friend or enemy an individual can have is theirself and that other people will always let you down in some way, so always be careful of having too many expectations.  I can not tell what the future is for the UK or the world, the recession hits harder, but if I can use my age and understanding of things I might not lose my hair as quickly as I've seen others.  Hair today, gone tomorrow.

No comments: