Sunday, July 29, 2012

What did the Athenian Gods think of emply Olympic seats?

Again this Sunday I got up and had a walk, it was good to pound the grass and feel I had enough stamina for another circuit of the heath.  Just maybe I am getting a little bit fitter?  A woman was jogging round in the opposite direction.  Jogging slowly and it seemed odd to me, because it takes more effort out of you to jog and takes longer to recover.  Why not walk I thought.  She was struggling, I could tell being an ex jogger.  Afterwards I headed for home and a little grass cutting.  The sun was out and it was so pleasant.  Should I view the Olympics after doing the grass?  Nah, why break a habit at this time of the morning.  The news indicated it would rain in the afternoon, and commented many seats at Olympic events which were empty.  A complete travesty for Locog, when considering how many people would of walked through fire to sit in them.  This is such a poor show.  I vacillated about whether to go out for a long cycle ride but with the prospect of rain I decided not to, I know the weatherman gets it wrong a lot, but for some reason I seemed to trust his choice.  After my walk I could see the clouds and had a feel he was right.  Were it to rain I'll go and sit through an earlier episode of BB I had not seen.

Within ten minutes of planting my backside on a seat, the rain came down, harder and with each passing moment harder still, so hard I thought it was hail.  The sky was punishing the ground, pounding it into submission.  This wasn't rain with soft relaxing drops which help you to relax, it was heavy, it did not want to blend into some sublime music, it did not want to be ignored.  No one was going to ignore it now.  This was vengeful, a pounding made to tenderise.  The sky got dark and then there were thunder claps, beautiful loud hard bangs.  Flashes of lightening lit up the room.  As if to say I am imposing myself on you mortals, each and everyone of you, take note, hear and feel my wrath.  The tears of gods fell and shattered on all hard surfaces.  Tears which could of been interpreted as saying this is an Olympic day and you dare not fill up seats to see the best athletes in the world compete.  Shame is now coming down upon you, be contrite, show your respect.   All thoughts of going out again for a bike ride were off.  Some other omnipotent beings had other ideas.

With exorbitant financial cost to the nation the organisers still wont allow the ordinary people to support and give it the respect it should have.  The Gods have it right.  Zeus was pretty displeased at this moment.  i sat there and thrust my fist into the air in agreement.  Yes, old man you got every reason to be pissed off.  I would if I were you.  How about raining some frogs, or even fish, a couple of large ones, big enough to fill up an empty seat or two, you'd get a bit more attention then my friend.  He sits down, shrugs and his brow is full of sorrow.  Have a sponsors Olympic drink or snack maybe you'll feel better I say.  Ooops, I think he's now marched off in a strop.  I know how you feel mate, I know how you feel.




No comments: