Friday, July 27, 2012

Olympics nightmare, another moan - go away

This morning was a nightmare when I put the radio on.  I love serious news items in the morning, I live for them, they are the food which helps kick start my cerebral day. So I plug in the radio, let it select the normal channel and it's a discussion about the Olympics.  Not so good.  A bit unlucky but I suppose expected, I select another channel, and again it's about the Olympics, being broadcast from the Olympic venue.  I selected channel after channel in need of talk radio programs but each blooming one was some version of news and discussion about the Olympics.  The weather forecast said it would rain this morning so I took an umbrella out with me and didn't need it.  But no matter what I did, getting away from anything about the Olympics was like trying to escape from Colditz which should be an Olympic sport.  It wasn't a great start to the day.  Considering I have to walk past a large screen public TV on the way to the Fish Factory.  A TV whose purpose is to follow every Olympic event there is for the general population.  Of all things I will not see the opening ceremony, I just could not care less about it.  Stop the whole thing and build some state of the art hospitals in place of it, then you will have my attention.  Don't get me wrong in thinking I am an anti-Olympic moany old git, I am not.  I love the Olympics.  My love is enormous for the Olympics, providing it is in a different country.  It should be in Mongolia, which sounds like the perfect country for the Olympics to me.  Far away but still watchable on TV, absolutely perfect.

I found out only the other day even cyclists will get a fine if they cycle in an Olympic lane.  I wonder how they will police it for cyclists?  London's taxi drivers also wanted to demonstrate against the Olympics because they have been excluded from using the lanes.  However, under some obscure act they banned the demonstration to a lesser part of London so it would have no effect.  The true fact of the matter is Londoners feel pretty unhappy about the whole thing.  Bile boils when it is discussed.  The amount of disruption it is going to cause for commuters is enough to ensure both the government and the mayor get voted out of office come their next elections.  Reason has not been allowed to be used.  Sensible suggestions have been swept aside as though they have no meaning to the great high and mighty command and control organization called LOCOG (London Olympics Organizing Committee).  If there is ever a group of people who have cotton wool in their ears it is this group.  If people get fined for using the Olympic routes and can not put up with the traffic chaos caused then they will find a way around it.  You don't have to be Einstein to consider the things disgruntled and annoyed people can do, and certainly to miles and miles of road which has special Olympic status.  There's over a 100 miles of it in all, and there are extra special lanes where no authorised persons can go.  It's all the brain child of a certain ex Olympian runner who has his roots in the wrong political party. 

Hell I just can't stop myself from moaning about the whole thing.  It's like one big moan festival.  There should be a help group for Londoners who don't want the Olympics to disrupt their lives, who want the old normal very busy and nearly but not quite chaotic London back.  For with the big "O" event it will not be the old London it will be a London which will be bought to it's knees.  London can not sustain road closures and special treatment for the very few.  Unless of course it happens the whole thing gets moved.  To Mongolia.  Then London and Londoners will be quite happy.  Bring back Genghis Khan I say, I sure bet he would have a thing or two to say.  I wonder if he likes self-help groups.

No comments: