Monday, September 03, 2012

The slow process of learning to type

The headache finally lifted, it took about three days, maybe longer, I can't tell for sure, because when these things happen it's not until a day or more it's realised as having gone on for a long time.  Especially as the hours tick by and it just isn't shaken off.  So now I an get on with things I had difficulty doing previously, such as typing practice.

It has now been about two weeks during which I have tried to achieve one hour a day typing.  I think it is starting to work, but I do notice a couple of things which effect typing statistics.  Firstly it is how I feel at the time.  A headache doesn't help or give motivation to type faster.  It also depends on the keyboard i use.  My PC keyboard is a an old Microsoft one and it is pretty springy, the one I use at the Fish Factory is made by Logitech and seems much more firmer, there's a definite resistance, whilst a laptop I use requires short sharp presses and clicks every time the key is depressed.  It's supposed to be a top notch keyboard for a lap top but I'm starting to wonder if it is actually helping my keying style.  The short quick snap doesn't require as much downward motion as the full size keyboards. Whatever keyboard is being used has a certain feel to it, and it effects speed and accuracy.  Whether I am refreshed and relaxed has a part to play.  So there are inconsistencies in stats.  You should always be aware of how you sit at a keyboard, this is called the ergonomics.  Keeping back straight arms parallel to the floor, feet on the ground, wrists not bent and so on.  As I go through a sequence of lessons provided by a free program i become familiar with some of the lessons and this means I can generally type faster doing them.  When i haven't a clue what is turning the Keys Per minute KPM drop as well as the Words Per Minute WPM.  Using different programs will also give different results.  Some test one aspect of the keyboard pretty well while another doesn't.  The questions is though, has there been any change?

I think there has,  I am faster at keying.  But I can not say for sure how much faster.  It all depends.  What I can say is progress is slow going, very slow going.  Some times day after day it's as though there is very little improvement.  Then when the improvement comes it isn't in a leap, it's more of a snail's pace.  A very slow snail.  A secondary result from this is I know my spelling is improving ever so slightly.  I've got a few problem words which always come up on a spell check as an error and for some reason these seem to be improving.  The improvement is also down to a realisation that speed is also linked to accuracy.  For there are times when I practice and I do my best not to make any mistakes.  It's hard, mistakes are inevitable, but reducing them is important.  For it always takes longer to go back and correct an error.  Even if it is picked up by a spell checker, this is time wasted.  Some commonly used words are extremely easy now, those which are uncommon however are more difficult.  It reminds me of the two routes by which human beings used to learn to read, phonetic and orthographic.  I can copy type but it does mean spelling out a word one letter at a time, or I can let myself go into auto mode. This (orthographic) method automatically sees the whole word, and as it has been (usually) typed a number of times before it instantly is keyed in.  It's as though the muscles in my fingers know exactly what to do.  This method of typing is very fast, but again it is down to familiarity.  So the old saying comes into account.  Practice makes perfect because you build up a repertoire of previous actions and each time the practice session occurs the sequence of actions (schemata) are more easily done.  Hence a feeling of being automatic.  But conscious thought and typing doesn't always mean automatic fast typing.  As now.  Each work I type I think about what I am saying then put it down in keys.

If I can carry this on for another couple of weeks the improvement will be even greater.  I hope.  More life saved through faster typing skills.  Or more work done using those same skills as against other persons who don't have the same ability.

I don't know if I am as fast as a normal typist and doubt it very much at this moment.  The thing is there are no normal typists about nowadays anyway, because everyone should know how to type or how to use a keyboard, even if they peck at it like a pigeon.  For the time being I'll consider myself more of a ferret, with a desire to be a keyboard butterfly.  At that point then I would of achieved something.  I'd of got my wings to say the least.


No comments: