Saturday, September 08, 2012

Waiting for winter

There I am sitting down catching up on a move from the BBC web site and during the film two actors are outside talking.  I can see their breath.  It's a clear sign of the cold air and at this moment I get a hankering desire to breath in cold air myself.  Now, I'm getting to think I can't wait for winter to get here.  To have to breath of that crispy, chilly air, and feel the cold numb my face after having a close shave.  How after a few days the skin on my hands dries up and they become sore.  Which is part of the uncomfortable side.  In a sense it is invigorating, When you have a warm coat on and have just eaten a good warming breakfast which acts like central heating for your body.  A jumper and thermal underwear act as additional guards to the chill.  It's like I've had enough of the sun and the heat.  When I go to the pub an sit inside out of the sun the air is also cooler an even slightly chilled.  I'm getting my body into gear and am now starting to prepare for the chill.  People at the Fish Factory moan and grown when intermittent cold days hit.  "Oh it's cold today" they will say, but it doesn't stop me from wanting to feel the cold and another season.  It's not because I have a preference for one season above the other, it's a change, and as they say a change is as good as a rest.  This goes for weather as well as anything else.

In Scotland there is always a difference in weather than some miles lower down in the UK, further south, and certainly the London area it is always warmer.  When I take the train to Scotland which is a few hours, I get to feel the differences as it travels North.  The halfway point is a mental marker of getting closer, this is Newcastle.  The train goes over a bridge across the Tyne and then will wait in the station for a moment longer than a normal stop.  It slows down when it crosses the bridge and as it goes into Newcastle station you get to see a little bit of Newcastle.  It is here at the halfway point I know I am closer to seeing Sparkling than I am closer to being in London.  At Edinburgh the train stops even longer as this seems to be a main termination point for travellers.  The castle stands dauntingly high on a wonderful rock formation, the steep rocky incline is covered with netting to prevent loose rubble from cascading uncontrolled down.  However, the cooler environment can be felt a little earlier than Edinburgh.  As soon as the train crosses the border at Berwick.  Edinburgh just stamps this awareness of a chill firmer on your awareness..  It then takes about four to five days to acclimatise or even sometimes more.  It is always amazing how I find the Scots so hardy to cold weather, when I complain they tell me it isn't cold.  Maybe the English have water in their veins.

When I am back in London it feels hotter, because it is.  Then I get to see Londoners walking about chilled and complaining whilst I feel I have some invisible extra coat of warmth.  It's all about relative perception.  But it is nice, and I think these people in London don't know what it's like to be cold, they are a load of nancies.  I can sit with a window open right next to me at the Fish Factory and not be bothered by the air, whereas everybody else is.  It is the legacy of Scotland and I miss it and miss Sparkling as well.  It happens Sparkling is the hottest thing going.  She is like a water bottle, so the cold doesn't bother her as much.  Except for ice cream, which she tends away from, preferring trifle instead. I hope to see Sparkling again soon and have to get my next ticket ordered.

Out of the sunshine and into the winter, out of the cold and into the warmth, or out in the cold but being quite warm.  Come on winter, my arms are open to you, it's about time to.






No comments: