Sunday, January 06, 2013

A cheap no thrills laser printer - Brother HL 2130

So after this morning's post I actually managed to move my arse and do something. A long hour and a half walk, followed by a latte coffee and twenty minute rest. A bus ride, lunch, another bus ride and walk into a mass market computer superstore. Where I had a mission to purchase a printer. One which was not for Wifi but one which would fit directly to my knackered old computer. (Which also requires upgrading at some future date, the monitor is still one of those old TV like ones, no flat screen, but she is old and faithful. Except for the times when she has been unfaithful and refused to work, required a new video card and then a new hard disk, which meant resetting up all the software again. A bloody pain all in all, but these incidents only came after years of hard service, this old thing deserves a medal. When I have to get a new one I will be completely unprepared for the new technology and no longer have an IT contact who will be my guide. I'll just have to use my own head). So about 5 hours later in got home with a new printer under my arm.

The box was cumbersome and I had to get a bus and walk a few streets to get home. The setting up of this printer meant throwing the old one out, pulling all the cables out of the multi-power point sockets and identifying how the arrangement was going to be assembled with this new item. I opened up the quick and easy instructions on how to set the thing up. This happened to be pretty easy as well. Doing this has also delayed my Uke practice today, but I'll get onto that task shortly. I am in love with my printer it's a simple basic device and exactly what I wanted. There are no bells and whistles, all it does is print and there is no other function to it. The price was knocked down and I got an additional 3 year warantee on it, so if it breaks down I can get to take it back and get the same money put towards the purchase of another printer. The most expensive thing was a toner cartridge, which had I got of Amazon would of been £5 less. The printer is a Brother 2130 laser printer, it retailed at £60. Not bad at all. In fact it looks so business like and so office like it brings a smile to my face. All I wana do is have some fun, I mean print some items off and see what they look like. Things with words on, maybe even diagrams. Things which look good. It is fast and has it's sleeves rolled up ready to be tested. OK I must stop staring at it and winking, it is only an inanimate object. I've used it already to print of some papers which required printing a bar code, I'm glad I did use it, the quality of the print is remarkable and there will be no issue with it being scanned. When I cast my mind back a few years I recall basic laser printers like this cost as much as a second hand car, now they are relatively cheap. It's place on my desk is perfect, and if I'm able to sleep tonight maybe I'll dream about printing stuff off it. Oh sleep, if only.

No comments: