Friday, January 25, 2013

How to while the day away when it snows in Scotland

The weather in Scotland is snow, followed by snow, and this evening it hits a peak with even greater snow fall.  Today the gritters have given up waltzing up the road, down the road or any where near this particular road. I went out and removed the snow from Sparkling's car, there was about six inches, it had been cleared off yesterday as well. It's been snowing since this morning and there has not been a brief respite from it. Usually there will be a  break but not at the moment. Snowmen stand in front gardens, but they to have been covered with even more snow and their once defined features are bland. At night time it is weird. I could even swear it is so bright it seems like an overcast day. The snow reflects all light, it bounces about and everything takes on a glow.  Clearing the snow is almost a self defeating event, for by the time you have finished clearing a path, when turning your back to see where you originally started there is another layer of snow on top. The weather forecast indicates there will be another severe flurry at 6 p.m. this evening. I always think there is a little bit of sadness when it snows after Chrimbo, because it's plainly late. However, the weather is a petulant thing and doesn't follow calendars set by men. I look out of the window and see the fall get heavier. But the forecast for tomorrow is rain and wind and a thaw, no matter how heavy it gets today, tomorrow evening it will all be gone. With the thaw there will be a lot of water. I don't mind a little snow, so it will be sad again to see it go.

Nearly a week has passed and again, I and Sparkling are locked up in a house. Her hands have been around my neck only once, and to consider I have actually been out in the snow and done some work. Not much, but some. Clearing pathways is strenuous, my back aches, but I do get a chance to get out of the house. Sparkling in the meantime is sitting playing a game called Candy Crush. She's on level 65 and has been on it nearly two weeks. Some people appear to get stuck on it for months on end. It's entertainment and frustrating, it keeps her happy and it keeps me happy especially if I get a chance to play with Bertha (Ukulele). The fire is on full blast, doors are closed, Olly (cat) sleeps undisturbed and does not pain us with his meowing. It's nice to be inside at this time, nice to feel the warmth indoors and know what the chill is like outside.

I sit now watching Antiques Road Show, with a cheap version of JD and a coke. It's hitting the spot it should hit. A bowl of home made soup and I'm happy. I try not to play Bertha to much as I know it interrupts Sparkling while she watches TV and contemplates her next move on Candy Crush. I said I would purchase a beautiful broach from the TV program had I won the lottery. Sparkling asked if it was the only thing she'd get. Of course I said "no" she'd get a lot. I'd buy houses in Portugal, Spain, Poland and Jamaica. Of course at the age of 72, Sparkling has divorced me taken three of my european homes, got a few Portugese and Turkish young men to serve her needs. But yet as we sit here discussing it, Sparkling is hassling me more. She wants more and is unhappy, I have both young Jamaican girls and an oriental girl on hand to look after me. She says they are quiet, demure and don't argue, I'd get bored with them. I said I would pay them enough so they didn't argue with me, even though I loved hardy, stubborn Scottish girls as well. She says I'd get bored. Hell, I didn't realise what deep waters snow can get you into. I really do hope this snow goes away tomorrow. I don't know how long I can keep Sparkling from demolishing my Jamaican retreat. It'll be such a nice place to, well, for a short imaginary time anyway.






No comments: