Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Change

While out at lunch time, I couldn't help notice how my home town was changing. How it all looks different, how the people walking about are different than they would of been 20 years ago, how there is a feel, a different feel to the place. London is changing everyday but I had been so fortunate as to see relatively little change in quite a long time where I live. But now it had all crept up. Sneaked up like the slowly cooling water of a hot bath, and only when you start to discern the first shiver of your body you realise you're cold. In the same way, this change was now overpowering in my home town.

The worst thing about this was my perception of fear, fear I don't like it and my area is now changing beyond my control and understanding. I am unsettled. In an area hit by poverty it is now being made more poverty stricken. It's the thought of a new block of flats being built, at 27 stories high. It will bring low cost housing, rental, druggies, and even greater deprivation. How can such a project be given authorisation. Where a plaster is needed, instead a sythe comes swinging.

There are some very certain certainties in life, birth, death and change. When I get up in the morning I change from PJs to clothes, when handing over money for an item I usually get change, I often change my mind, whereas some people appear not to change. They provide stability in their character and then I wish they would change. The weather changes from day to day, and work will always be work. So for the things I can't change, then I suppose I have to put up, shut up or have a pint and look at the funny side. There's nothing like a happy refrain, God help me nurture this, but not to they point of hysteria.

Now whose this bloke if he exists then?

No comments: