Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Hair cut


I walked into the Barber's shop, there were already 2 customers but as there were 2 hairdressers and no Que the wait wouldn't be long. Glancing down at the table by my seat was a newspapers so I began to read the day's news. A moment passed and one of the customers started to complain. He was telling the hairdresser not to touch his neck. His hair looked odd. A bit like a Mohican's style, except it wasn't sticking up. He'd had a band of his hair each side of his head practically shaved off. The hairdresser picked up a mirror and showed the moaner what it looked like he said "it's OK boss." Another moment passed and then the customer moaned again. At this point the hairdresser had enough. He politely asked the moaner to leave there would be no charge. Though it sounded to me like the moaner was a bit of a nut case. He wasn't communicating what it was he wanted. Then I thought maybe it was the hairdressers not so brilliant English skills.

So I sat in the chair next. Asked for my usual and chilled out, closed my eyes and just relaxed. Wondering what it is about some people who are so conscientious about the latest hair style, that it is the most important thing in the world to them. I have never not paid for a hair cut. Even when I haven't liked them. In particular I used to go to one Barbers where the hairdresser a woman would always cut my ear. My head was something out of Punch and Judy as far as she was concerned. Perhaps she was a lesbian, or perhaps I reminded her of an ex and so my ear would be nicked. Then she'd carry on nicking my ear until one day I became a Van Gogh look alike. I had enough of her. And even when I tried to avoid her I'd some how end up in her chair. In the end I voted with my feet and went to a different Barber's. I'm more attached to my ears than an particular hair style so it was the wisest choice.

Silly Sophia saw my hair cut when I got home and she said it was perfect. Because she's learning about hair cutting at college. Thing is every time I get a hair cut I later start to get headaches. It's my glasses. They just pinch too much. Come to think of it if I lost an ear I might lose the headaches? Nah, think I'll just put up with them, take my glasses off and bump into lamp posts, OUCH. Somethings you just can't avoid.

No comments: