Friday, July 01, 2011

Life sapping cue waiting

It seems nowadays it is difficult to get a full happy long sleep.  Happy being one where there is no nightmares, or waking up in the middle of the night, or being disturbed, and without having to resort to counting sheep or some other strategy to drop off.  Again at about 4:30 a.m. I could hear the pigeons waking up and leaving the roof.  As they scrape their beaks, chit chat and then fly off they steal my sleep.  In little kit bags under their wings there goes another hour.  Sometimes two. Where is there a good roofer when you want one?  This could be the day's task.  Establish contact with a roofer and get an estimate.  Or is it, go to the DIY store and get some ladders?  Possibly, I'll have to think about this one.

Ever since coming back from Scotland I've set myself little objectives each day.  Well I don't have Sparkling to guide me and make demands.  Sometimes I would fulfill them all, other times just one from the list.  Oh yes, a list is a very important thing.  I don't know if I've said this before, but I should of unless I'm going a bit senile, which I sure I am.  A list is an important thing.  Very important.  It sets focus and gives you something to direct your energy to.  A list is undeniable, it is writing something down and planning, it's also psychological because there is an element of commitment one you've written it down.  Not that items on a list have to be done, it's just every time I look at the list the ones not crossed off represent some kind of failure as well as a reminder they are still pending.  Crossing off items becomes an achievement.  I did it.  Like for instance yesterday I decided one of the items was to get a passport application form.  I went into two different Post Offices on four occasions before I could be bothered to wait in a short enough cue.  I can't understand why they don't just put the applications on the wall with the other applications they have easily in reach.  Except maybe because making you wait they can actually drain away part of your life blood.  This is what cuing does.  It saps it away.  Like there are better things to do.  Memo to self, yet again, always go out with a good book it is a tool against the life sappers.  Being able to read anywhere is another useful talent to be given.  I did get the application, it took a half hour wait, but could of taken longer if I didn't walk out of the Post Offices refusing to be sucked into their life sapping, stifling demands.

Saying that, I once went for a job at the Post Office, on their counter services.  I was young at the time, either late teens or early twenties.  I had to go to London and sit an exam.  I think it was some general ability test, a Level A test in psychometric terms.  Things like add this up, find the odd one out etc.  The marking I was told was pretty strict.  Unfortunately, I failed to hit the pass mark by only three points.  Three bloody points and I would of had a job for life.  A job where I could of been the life sapper.  Thank goodness I failed.  Think I'll hit the pub tonight.  See a few mates, have a laugh, miss Sparkles.  I'll refrain from giving her a phone call if I'm pissed.  I know what it's like talking to piss heads on the phone.  The same as waiting in a cue at the Post Office.

No comments: