Thursday, January 05, 2012

A late but relaxing morning

I couldn't help it but get up late this morning.  Arriving in the Fish Factory five minutes before the limit of expectations.  So what!  When I woke up I could tell it was late, for there was a smidgen of light coming through the curtains.  Worse still was the sound that greeted me.  Wind and rain.  Not just any rain or any wind, this was howling and the rain sounded like aspiring hail stones.  It had been rejected from the hail stone select members club, it was in an angry mood and was going to show what it could do even if it wasn't as hard as a nail.  Well it kept me in bed, in fact it probably helped me to get a heavier more relaxing sleep.  I wasn't bothered the covers of my bed kept me lovely and warm.  It was difficult getting up, this morning I liked my bed and enjoyed the lay in.

When I eventually left the house I was lucky enough to get one of those respite moments.  There was a calm.  Little wind and a fine rain of no bother at all.  The train I could of got was waiting in the station.  Yet with my not bothered attitude I didn't worry and let it disappear into the distance.  Another one would turn up soon enough I thought.  When at the platform I checked the electronic indicator and had to wait 14 minutes, a bit longer than normal. In addition it turned out the train was a couple of minutes late as well.  No bother.  The seats were relatively empty, so I took one and sat on the edge of it, relaxed but upright.  I closed my eyes and meditated.  It would be my practise for the day, between now and the next train turning up.  I listened to the sounds around me and relaxed my breathing.  In, then gently out, doing my best not to let my thoughts go off onto tangents, trying to think of nothing and be calm.  My eyes were watering under their glasses.  I don't know if this is a problem with the wind whipping up again or whether they are getting worse.  They shouldn't water if closed.  Strangely only 7 minutes passed and it felt like an eon, at which point I got up and walked along the platform and waited there for the train.  When I then got off the train at my destination I realised at last a calmness had infused itself in me.  I was in a mood which would let me just stare into space thinking of nothing at all.

Last night I saw an article on the news about meditation.  It apparently is good for you.  It helps the mind to cope with pain.  Like being hit with hailstones, whipping rain and jostled by the wind.  I always new it was useful for something.

No comments: