Monday, January 09, 2012

Too much gassing? Wear ear muffs then

Today at the Fish Factory I needed peace and quiet to concentrate, could I get it? No chance.  It's like working in market place.  With fish mongers gassing left right and centre, but one particular monger who had a particularly loud voice.  So out came the ear plugs from my glasses case.  I don't use them often, they are just needed every once in a while.  These still didn't do the job, I then sat there and stuck my fingers in my ears while looking at a monitor and trying to work out the difference between one fish and another.  I must of looked a right sight.  However, it's hard operating machinery when you have fingers stuck in your ears, you have to take them out of your ears to do the operating bit.  Then came to mind the man who sits on the other side of the factory floor.  He had his own ear defenders or muffs, OK he may look odd wearing them but I wondered whether they did the job.  So I went over and asked to borrow his.  Walked over to my workstation and sat down again, putting them on.  They clamped on my head like mini limpets over each ear.  He warned me they could get uncomfortable and hot with prolonged use.  There was then an even more noticeable reduction in noise, or rather extraneous chatter.  They worked.  I could see a couple of people looked in my direction, puzzled at what I had on my head.  However, I took no notice and really couldn't care what people thought.  This could be an aspect of getting older.  Why care about the opinion of others, when what matters is I am satisfied myself.

Therefore, being impressed by these ear muffs I've gone and ordered a pair for myself.  OK I may only be one of two people on a floor where 300 people do test out their fishing, OK as well I might look like a cyberman from Doctor Who as well, but if they give me a level of quietness then I'll be happy.  In a busy noisy world a little bit of tranquillity now and again can go a long way.

No comments: