Sunday, January 15, 2012

A Quiet Sunday and a Ukulele Omen

This morning I went for a cycle ride along the Thames.  The sun was hard, bright, and on a mission. It was a cold morning, frost had settled on cars, grass, pavements, the wheels of my cycle picked up white crystals and as they turned their tread grew white as well.  Revolving they crunched. .I wondered if I turned sharply or had to stop suddenly would I slide or skid.  Along the Thames the walkway was shaded so the whole path was white.  Out of the sun I felt even colder.  The gloves with no fingers exposed skin so I could not hold onto the handles without a chill freezing my hands.  I put them in my coat pockets to keep warm and rode no-hands style.  Sitting up straight and balancing my weight to gently steer.  The tide was half out and mud banks were exposed.  Sea gulls and other birds waddled about with a Sunday morning saunter.  The ear flaps on my hat were pulled down to protect me a little more.  Dry, crisp and very cold air inhaled then exhaled as as though I had just smoked a cigarette, but without the fumes.  The skin on my face began to numb and I was losing feeling.  Yet I felt alive and privileged to cycle along on this morning, it felt better than laying late in bed, it was doing something.  I was energised and enjoyed the ride.

An hour and a half later I got back to the house to make lunch for Big Momma.  She had gone out to do some Sunday shopping.  A text had at last arrived from Sparkling as she didn't text yesterday, so I knew she was OK.  I put on the radio and blow me down, music came forth, it was George Formby on his Ukulele playing "when I'm cleaning windows" this I took for an omen.  I listened in amazement.  How could Formby be on the radio?  It is a sign.  You should follow the signs, especially if you are motivated to follow them.  It's like the inclination I have been getting lately to begin looking for another career.  Even to the extent of feeling motivated to make a move.  I can no longer sit and let things stay as they are.  It's a matter of taking control.  Rather than allowing myself to be the victim of circumstances.  Follow the signs.  Ukulele man.  No.  However, it could mean I should be looking to play the Uke just as a pastime, something completely different from anything else I do.  Play it and look for a career at the same time.  Sometimes there are things which I know get in the way, things which I know are not helping me.  No I don't have two left hands, I'd never get to play the Uke if I do.  Follow the signs.  When that internal motivation gets kicked in who knows where it will lead.  Last time it happened I ended up with two degrees.  It's the long game as well.  Ukulele man.  There may only be four strings but it's how you play them.

I know what I am capable of, I know even on a sunny day it can be cold.  Listen carefully and what can be heard?  Formby.  No.  The rotation of cycle wheels on ice crystals.  The lap of the Thames, a cold intake of breath, even on a Sunday, inspiration and exhilaration can be found.

No comments: