Monday, May 21, 2012

Morning Sandwiches

I made my own sandwiches today.  It may not seem like a big thing but for someone who always eats in cafes or down market restaurants for lunch it is.  In fact it has been so long since I last made my own lunch I can't remember when I last did it.  A long time ago.  It's no longer stored in the part of my brain which holds long term memories.  Sad as it may be, while I made my sandwiches I was unable to put my feet up and enjoy breakfast.  Which had to be eaten at the same time I made them.  Yes, the quality time I'd just sit on my backside and take it easy was taken up by sandwich making.

The supplies I got for my sarnies cost a little.  To recuperate this I am now obliged to make them at least three times this week otherwise it would of been more expensive.  I even decided to give the pub a miss this evening just so the expense ratio would come down a little quicker.  If I carry on like this it will not be long before I am the sandwich king.  I once read a book where an enterprising person retired from work to make sandwiches for his own organization.  He happened to be an accountant and had regularly collected statistics on lunch time habits.  Come to think of it, he was probably made redundant.  To make his business work he sold as cheaply as he could and operated an honest box system.  Of all persons paying for their sarnies he found those who earned the most were less likely to put money in the honesty box.  The rich were therefore rich for a reason, they engaged in petty criminal behaviour.  Unlike the fat cat bankers of the UK who engaged in large scale just under the net fraud to bring the UK to its knees.  A sandwich is not just a meal to some people.  It's an indicator of honesty.

Somehow tomorrow I'm going to have to do it all over again.  Tomorrow the cost of sandwich materials would of dropped to half of what it cost today, so the incentive is pretty high.  As a secondary incentive I'm hoping these morsels will help me in my own quest to lose a little weight.  But I must admit when I got home this evening I was very tired and had to lay on the bed for a half hour catch up cat nap.  Those cats are so lucky.  I must learn how to sleep and appear to be working.  Match sticks under the eyelids perhaps.  Sandwich in one hand and a cup of tea in the other.  OK better hit the hay, things to do in the morn.  Bread to be spread filling to be laid and Tupperware lids to be sealed.

No comments: