Tuesday, May 01, 2012

Can a man ever keep up with a woman's multitasking?

It's been a wet and miserable day.  I can't say I've seen any sunshine, although it may have popped it's head around the corner when I wasn't looking.  So it's been a lazy day and Sparkling has had me doing those little jobs.  However, for Sparkling it is not good enough to do one job and then start another.  Like a man would do, because of course we can not multitask.  We prefer to do one job and do it properly, but I will admit I do get distracted. 

It should of been as no surprise I would be given four tasks at the same time, however, my radar alert system was down and I hadn't been in the land of Sparkle's mind for a while.  So as I started one job and was in the middle of concentrating my effort, Sparkles would then give me the second job.  This came with occasional quips of why hadn't I finished the one I'd started earlier.  Typical I wasn't up to the expected standard.  Lets face it a woman wants a man to be expert in everything but most importantly the better expert at mind reading.  Sparkles accused me of not being focused on the task. job in hand.  Although I was being thrown from one thing to the next, this wasn't all.  Additionally while doing these tasks I had to tackle the inevitable boobie trap.  Just like a bank robber stealing a million only to find as he flicks through the first bundle of cash an explosive dye goes up in his face.  For example I was given a staple gun, barely used in it's lovely newish box and had pin some items on a wall.  I couldn't puzzle out why a stapler was only shooting off single pins rather than the staples I'd put in it.  I'd asked Sparkles if she had loaded any other staples into it and she gave me the typical shaken head and denial of no she hadn't and didn't know what I was talking about.  Being a male it's very easy to assume this is the truth.  Wrong, what shaking head meant was, she couldn't remember or she had actually put some staples in the gun and had used it but it was perfectly new and I should be able to work out what had happened.  This is a small assumption hurdle.  I had assumed, something which should take only a few minutes would take longer.   Half an hour of head scratching and scanning the instructions with a microscope was needed.  Of course the instructions don't tell you what to do when something goes wrong.  This is a talent a man has gain.  It takes time, patience and an insight into the unknown mind of a woman.  I should memo myself to always be careful and considerate of the information I'm given, which may not be the whole truth and nothing but the truth.  To understand I have to get on with it and sort it out.  Then I could argue if it wasn't for such trials life would be dull. Sparkling makes sure my life is full of excitement like this.
In another little task Sparkles had me looking into was the ins and outs of pensions.  Like most people I'm the kind who put's their head in the sand and hopes it will all be OK in the end.  If pensions were so important they should of been something you'd learn about at school.  In fact now as I think about it, anything taught at school didn't really help in normal life, OK the reading and math may have helped a little but the other important stuff was missed, e.g. the economics of every day life.  Nope no lessons in that one.  So I searched the Internet and read of to Sparkles what her second pension was all about.  I learnt from it as well.  However, Sparkles first impulse was to request my help on pensions when I was in the process of intoxication.  Three lagers and a packet of crisps followed by "you need to tell me what all this pension things mean."  Followed by waving of official papers in front of my face and "see, read this."  Well it didn't happen not even with the offer of crisps and dip to follow the lagers.  Somethings have got to be done with a clear head.

To answer the question, can a man ever keep up with a woman's multitasking?  The answer can only be no.  This is because we can not simply multitask in the way a woman does.  The ability is just not there.  I have to know what it is I am trying to do, then it doesn't make me any better at decision making.  If men were better at decision making it would only be with the help of a interpreter.  Not a language one, one who can understand women, because I'm certainly having my problems.  Hmm I wonder if there's a phrase book on Amazon?

No comments: