Friday, May 25, 2012

A week of Sandwiches

A day has not gone past without me eating a sandwich for lunch.  There were a few reasons for this.  Firstly I have always eaten food from cafes or restaurants.  I like hot food for lunch.  It's real and substantial and I feel lunch time should really be lunch time.  It should be slowly taken.  In the same way the French treat lunch.  As a very important part of the day.  So I ensure it is an hour long.  As for the hot food there is another disadvantage and this is down to my waist line.  Trousers and jeans are getting tighter than they have been.  I can not even dare to buy anything which is slim fit.  It's the fear if I wore something slim fitted the seams will tear.  Then there I will be walking along with split arsed trousers, showing my pants.  It's not like I wear fancy boxers either, whatever shows will not be a pretty sight.  However, this is the general problem every ever waist increasing person has to deal with.  Next reason is financial.  It costs more money to go into a cafe for a meal and a drink than it does opening up my own sandwich box.  It is surprising how much it costs.  One day after the other, visiting the pub in the evenings doesn't help either, even though I have done my best to have a break from the odd pint as well.  The combination of home made sandwiches and abstinence must of saved a few pennies.  I'm sure it has in all reality.  Financially it has been a five week month to pay day rather than a four week month, so therefore it's been tough.  Fortunately I've come through it and can see the light.  What a relief.

I must admit eating granary bread sandwiches and sometimes up to 8 slices of this bread a day has also been having another effect on my belly.  It feels a lot more settled.  Like life is easier.  It could be I've had more than my fair share of greasy food and sandwiches are a health food kick.  I should stick with them, but watch out for the boredom factor.  Which comes with eating the same ones over and over again.  It's a matter of doing something different but small which changes the sandwich eating experience.  Like chili flakes.  I need to get some, they will give them a little variety.

In London the sun has come out.  Only a couple of weeks ago we were all moaning about how cold it still was, but now it is hot, some places over 26 Celsius.  It's always difficult wondering what to wear.  The Fish Factory has great air conditioning.  So you can go from the feeling of being in the Artic to being in the Sahara when stepping outside.  There is a water feature I see as I commute, it's two large slopes with a walk way in the middle.  Water runs down one slope, then is pumped under the walkway and again goes down the other slope.  It is amazing to see the small children go paddling in this water.  It is barely deep enough to cover the tread on your shoes, so is more like an artificial aquaplane.  The children play football, splash in it, run about and slip over and then get completely wet.  They laugh and their predicament is infectiously funny.  Big smiles abound.  The sun beats down and this water feature is the best place to be in the world for them.  Parents sit at the sides, some may paddle in as well.  Bare footed seeking relief to their sweaty feet.  It certainly has an entertainment factor.  It's the start of summer, and perhaps unlike previous overcast ones this is going to be one scorcher.  Better get my shoes and socks off, take out my sandwiches and chill.

No comments: