Saturday, August 18, 2012

Coping with the heat

It could be summer has come late and now is shining its torturing light upon us.  It could be the God of bad weather has taken a temporary vacation and let the not so bothered God of good weather on the scene.  In any case there has only been one noticeable event today.  It's been hot, bloody hot, nearly as hot as a vindaloo curry being eaten in a hot house, the sands of the Sahara desert or at Beelzebub's dinning table.  What the hell (a hot place - allegedly) do you do on a day like this to cope with it all?  It's hard to say for sure but being crafty helps, the craftier you are the more likely you'll find respite from it.  Someone close the bloody oven door!  Wipe my brow with a clothe, invent self cooling clothes, buy me an ice cream, any of the above.

For me this began by taking time out at the Fish Factory.  Here I killed two birds with one stone (crafty bit).  Managing to do work and to keep cool at the same time.  It only makes sense.  If there is this big building which has air con and your house doesn't it's better to be in the building than to stay in your house.  I'm not sure if I managed to get any sleep last night it was a miracle.  My room was two degrees cooler this morning than it was when I went to bed, but it didn't help.  I lay there like a pig on a stick, turning round and roasting away.  Whilst in the Fish Factory it was nice.  Cool.  Restful, I didn't have to worry about tossing and turning in my sleep, about dreams which would not come my way because all the objects of my dreams had taken a hike to some other cooler fantasy land.  If you don't sleep you don't dream.  If this carries on for a few more days I'll be hallucinating the things in my dreams in my conscious world.  Wow.  Some natural drug that would be as well.  I wonder if they'd notice at the Fish Factory.  Mind it is so cool there, it would be the only place to actually get some sleep.

After a short stint in the factory what other course I could put into action to get out of the mid day sun?  Food, in a cafe, with no air con but pleasantly mild, then came to mind a pub, where inside the building it is cool because they just let the air con run all the time.  Great.  So here I have sat for the last 3 hours, barely anyone to keep me company because most customers have sat outside taking their pints under a canopy.  OK for them, not for me.  For if this is summer then there may be a few more days of unrelenting sun trying to catch up with the time when it was hidden by clouds.  I'll just sit here in the cool, it's best, less effort.  Considering only two days ago I was in Scotland where I acclimatised to a lot cooler weather it makes sense.  Stay acclimatised to the cool, just in case this hot stuff is a flash in the pan.  An ironic cliché.  If the hot stuff isn't a flash in the pan then the cooler weather will have no effect on me.  However, I am now actually starting to feel cold.  The air con must of been turned up a notch or two.  The brewery must have money to waste, well at the price of a pint here they probably do.  Which is another point of note.  Soft drinks, always cheaper and you don't get drunk.

Besides missing Sparkling as normal it's been a good day.  Keep busy, keep cool and keep your hat on fat boy.

No comments: