Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Typing practice

I have decided this week to practice my typing and to improve the Words Per Minute WPM for those in the know.  The last two days I've spent at least an hour if not more practicing.  I heard if you are able to type an extra 10 words per minute then it increases your productivity by one year over a life time.  Given I may have a few years left in the old engine yet this sounds quite a good thing to do.  With a little luck I will get the name Fast Fingered Fat Boy.  Or the Typing Kid.  Or maybe not.  But it does make sense.  There is however a trade off as with anything else, speed versus accuracy.  If I try to consciously as upposed to unconsciously type faster then the speed drops off.  However, in doing so I don't have to go back all the time to correct those mistakes I keep making.  It is amazing even when taking extra special effort how easy it is to make mistakes.  This I guess then becomes a marker of what your true WPM is.  Going backswards and correcting mistakes can take time in itself so it then defeats the notion of speed.  There is only one additional conclusion I can come to, it's a nasty one.  One which can not be avoided.  To improve typing it is a matter of practice, practice and more practice.  Great.  It seems there are few short cuts for the wicked.  Or the fast fingered Typing kids of the world.  Fast fingered typing old fat men.  The older I get the less time I have, so the faster I needed to get and the more practice I have to do.  Sounds like another catch 22 situation.  Oh well, off to the Fish Factory.  To type or not to type, what is my type of question?

Practice.

No comments: