Friday, August 31, 2012

The Fish which didn't talk back, but might have

At lunch time, if I am lucky, I get a chance to speak to Sparkling Eyes.  It is a moment out of what can be a hectic and stressful day at the Fish Factory.  A moment away from all the issues which vex my mind.  The madness which is around me, the incessant questioning from Fishes who should know how to do their work but fail on little things.  It's as though they have a dependency and they are unable to realise they should be using that thing between their ears.  It's painful, very painful.  Those who can think for themselves are like gold dust and are too few.  Talking to Sparkling removes all of these things and for a few moments, she has me thinking about other things, and questions me in only the way someone can who is not a boss or a worker. 

Sparkling challenges me, and it's good to challenged in that way.  Even if it is related to what she is saying on a phone which cuts in and out all the time.  Sparkling told me how she had bought a fish, then went on to describe how someone she knew from school caught her eye and then chatted with her.  The phone cut out and I thought she was saying the fish's eye was looking at her and she then couldn't decide whether she could eat it, but was whether she knew this person.  She then had a conversation with the fish, which spoke back to her, but wasn't the fish it was the person who had stared at her and she'd known from years ago.  This intermittent phone cutting in and out resulted in my hearing a conversation which did not exist.  Sparkling may have conversations with the birds which flock to her garden, the cat, or even the postman so having a conversation with a fish she was about to eat or not eat because she felt guilty about looking it in the eye was all a figment of my own imagination.  It's strange how things turn out.  Even over a cup of coffee.

No comments: