Sunday, August 05, 2012

It's not a snails life

It's Sunday and I don't know what to do with myself.  This morning it was hot and sunny, the birds living under the roof came clattering out and like clockwork woke me up.  Somewhere in my hazy mind I thought they were talking to each other and I could understand it.  The pigeons sounded child like in their discussions, and the more I tried to understand what they were saying the more I moved from somnambulance to consciousness.  It must of been the tone of their cooing, or just maybe I did understand their chatter.  They have infiltrated my head and are my natural alarm clock.  I wish they weren't but this is a facet of daily life.  I use them and my body clock kicked in to get up.  It wouldn't matter how long I stayed in bed awake is awake and there was no other explanation for it.  So this morning's agenda was a Sunday walk, it's happened over a number of weekends now.  They are quite enjoyable and the only real bit of physical exercise I've been getting for a long time.  Sad to say, Sunday mornings are exercise mornings.

It must of rained last night and I slept through it, because the grass was wet.  On pavements there were trails where snails and slugs had been.  I think snails should have their own compass because when they go for a sliding and slipping across paving stones they seem to get lost and meander all over the place.  A pavement is probably the size of the Sahara desert to them.  Inevitably there were crushed shells all over the place and skeletal remains, as much as a snail can have such all over the place.  At night time you can never tell what is on a pavement, they can't contemplate what it is like for humans, if they don't had lights it would be different.  I'm sure if getting crushed under foot was a serious thing for snails they'd develop some glow in the dark ability or even super diamond hard shells.  Except as they never survive such footfalls they can never pass on the gene for hard snail shell or glow in the dark survival mechanisms. 

The walk lasted about an hour.  I detoured into a newsagent and got a serious newspaper, one which didn't glorify in Murdock like scandal, salacious gossip, bitching or lascivious pictures of beautiful women.  I can't be having it.  I read an article about extremist British Muslims who were now in Syria fighting.  They had captured a British photographer and wanted to ransom or kill him.  It is sad, the very freedom which secular Britain has done it's best to give its inhabitants is used some to become non representative of the population.  I'm sure they are also non representative of their own culture and religion.  The government seems to have taken note so you can guarantee it will not be long before either the SAS are doing very secret missions in Syria or  MI5 will do their utmost to find out who these persons are their cards will be marked.  I think it's because young males don't get the challenges and attention they need.  They get sucked into something because they need to make their mark on the world.  I pity those snails, I'm sure they would of loved the opportunity to have been humans but just were unlucky in rolling the dice of life choice.  Now if Jhadists were snails, I doubt whether they'd be taking reporters and photographers as hostages or sharpening knives.  There's certainly a few who would of been stepped on by now.

Apparently today there was a free to view Olympic event.  I almost fall over at the thought of it.  Something being given away, blimey Locog made a mistake.  Perhaps it's because it was the women's marathon.  They could of had it inside the Stratford stadium but that would of been bloody boring and I'm sure the contestants might of got a little dizzy.  Imagine going round in circles for just over two hours.  One leg would get shorter than the other, depending on what direction they were going in.  It rained at some point this early afternoon, and not just simple normal rain, it was torrential again.  Sudden and hard.  I wonder if the marathon runners were out in it.  Probably.  Which was good enough reason not to go and watch a free event.  It's also been reported as Londoner's are so afraid of being stuck in the crush of crowds they have decided to stay away.  Normal commuters have dropped by 17 per cent.  So shops all over London are feeling it.  Even the Olympic tourists are not venturing into London to see the capital.  Mind if they were watching the marathon then they would get a glimpse.  I've not heard of their being any issues with traffic either, this is likely because people just have decided not to use their cars where possible. It's now two weeks past and is going fast, but it is a pain and not fast enough. 

Oh well life could be worse, I could be a snail, on a pavement looking for an oasis.  Heck no, a pigeon chattering on a roof and making a two legged human go crazy would be a lot better.  Bloody things.


No comments: