Sunday, December 30, 2012

A Duelling Uke, a stroppy man and an unknown gender

Most of the day I've been practising the Ukulele. The same tune over again and again, it's the "Duelling Banjos" from the film Deliverance. There is only two chords which are played so there is no need to worry about strumming pattern because they are played briefly and don't require much in the way of timing. A great deal of this music is then string plucking, as the music is familiar it's then just a matter of plucking to the correct time of music from the tutorial video, and how I recall it. It's feels good having a go at something which sounds quiet complex but isn't as complex as might be. Saying that, for a beginner, anything you do is difficult and it is a learning process. What is amazing though is the sound of live music, live music which I am making. The intonation and quality of the sound is nothing like what could be heard on headphones. Even very good headphones. Real music has class.

After doing about three hours this afternoon, Sparkling said she'd had enough and we had to go and see Rock Chick, she further stated any additional Uke playing would have to be upstairs in the bedroom with the door closed. This way nothing could be leaked over the airwaves. I'd be isolated. I asked whether I could take the Uke over Rock's and play it. Sparkling said I could only play it if she had to make a cup of tea. In the circumstances this would hardly give me enough time to get the thing out of the bag.

Rock was dying to see Sparkling. She was bubbling with excitement, her face a big great smile,  tomorrow's appointment for the baby (fro) scan would determine the sex of baby fro. I didn't get out my Uke because I didn't take it. So went to make the coffee, then having to wash up cups and as I popped into the lounge again to unfortunately see a brief glimpse of Rock shining a very bright torch at her belly. I closed the door quickly and let out a little shirk, the sight of a sticky out belly button always gives me a shiver. Dangerous was being accused of  being in a stroppy mood  because he was not doing as Rock wanted him. They are both stubborn, I could see Dangerous's point of view, and was then also seen as being stroppy. Girls stick together and men are then strops. But it didn't have any effect on Rock, she was just happy and excited about tomorrow. I doubt if I will be allowed to take the Uke there as well. Bertha will be put in her bag again, but I'll find a space in the day.

Sparkling is showing signs of jealousy towards Bertha, she has said her feet have not been moisturised because I was afraid of making the skin on my fingers soft again. Changing Chords is a matter of pressing hard down on strings like cheese wires. I said this was not true, Sparkling was a lot more beautiful, but Bertha did have a better tune. I've heard Sparkling on karaoke, it's a time to wear ear plugs. Bertha just has a beautiful tone, but she is killing my finger tips, I could barely pick up a bonbon sweet without saying ouch, ouch. I'm not a musical person, I can't sing a single song all the way through, but this obsession with the Uke has been with me for a year. I said to Sparkling, it had been a full year of watching Youtube videos and giving hints and wanting a Uke and waiting until Chrimbo. Now I got it and I can't help it I am overdosing on the thing. Spending hours and hours on it. I will be advancing more in my ability to use it now than probably any other time, but it's necessary. When I return to London, I'll be stuck on a train for six hours and will not be able to inflict a carriage full of passengers to the finer art of learning to play it. So I just have to cram the time in now. They'll all be treated to a Uke session when the Duelling Banjos is off pat. It shouldn't be more than another dozen hours, or perhaps less.

Maybe I should get ear plugs for Sparkling, or I could be wearing Bertha as a New Year's hat.

No comments: