Friday, November 21, 2008

The man with an extra leg - not

I went to the gym this evening, although there's nothing unusual other than I was able to do a full work out rather than do a walk-out because of over eating at a Chinese-eat-as much-as-you-like. So was good in this respect. However, an unusual sight greeted me as I pushed the door open to the mens changing room and turned the corner. There were men getting changed of course but something stood out in a literal sense. My eyes were drawn to one particular person, they focused and I couldn't stop them.

On one seat there was a man who seemed to be buffing off a leg. It was a left leg and a full left leg, extending from foot to thigh. But the oddest thing which went through my mind was how odd. How odd a man should be buffing off a leg. And in a slow moment I had the following thought: he's got two legs and a leg he buffs off. He's got three legs. Yes, I actually thought for a moment this was a three legged man. So much for the maths classes when growing up. I wondered in this slow moment, what he wanted with the extra leg, how he walked with it, and what was it's function? I saw in my mind a man walking along with three legs. Yes, it was a particularly slow moment. How on earth could my imagination go on such a tangent in the matter of a short moment I just don't know. Then it occurred to me to count his legs. I'll not go into any logic now only the notion I had to count them. So I counted the leg being buffed as one, I saw a complete right leg. I guess it was complete because it was in a track suit with a trainer on the foot, and where the left leg was, I saw a stubbed thigh which was wrapped in some kind of stocking. Remarkably it was only at this point I realised he only had two legs. Two legs. Of course a false leg only two legs. Somehow the slow moment passed me and I'd learnt to count at least up to two if not three.

No comments: