Tuesday, November 18, 2008

A view on maths from the girls point

This may be a obvious fact for some people, however a couple of mornings ago it was spouted like the first piece of news in the world, girls and boys differ. Thank heaven's there is a dissimilarity between girls and boys, otherwise the world would be so unexciting. However, this was in relation to the study of Maths. It seemed quite simple, to teach Math to girls a different method had to be used. Boys might have an affinity to numbers and a strange want to try and understand numbers in the purest form, but girls apparently need to know the wider context. For them, the reason why numbers should be studied in the first place has to be made. When I think about this, it sounds probably more logical than just studying them with no reason at all. It just goes to show how important maths is but more so how importantly girls ask this question. It is a more basic, and searching question, it is an obvious question, it is a question the boys should of thought about first, shame on them.

In further revelation the scientists noted boys and girls had different hard wiring in the brain. Though I must admit to a little bit of doubt in this point. I can understand there being some differences in the brain but I wouldn't of thought those differences were in order of the Grand Canyon. Girls think through their neo cortex whilst boys think about maths in terms of their hippo campus. When this particular explanation was given I thought "utter none sense" of course I could be wrong and thinking through my backside rather than my hippo campus, but I'd sure like to see the research which suggests this is the case. When you have studied a science it's the raw journal article you get to cross examine, show it to me and I'll make my own mind up. Or maybe not make my mind up, especially if someone is telling me I should. Because I rather don't like to be told how I think. I just think. Therefore I am. As one great philosopher said.

So although the news on the radio program was not as revealing as it proposed to be, I'm sure glad there is a difference in boys and girls. And more so the difference continues throughout life. All I can say is what about the poor hermaphrodites?

No comments: