Thursday, November 27, 2008

Pay for a Plastic Carrier Bag!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In the last few days I have almost become incensed by the issue of plastic carrier bags. When I go shopping it's usually spontaneous thing. I know I have to shop, get food and other items and make a half baked plan to do so in the evening. But with incredible ingratitude more and more shops expect I purchase a plastic carrier bag rather than give one away to me free. I was in W.H.Smith's hit the till with items coming to over £18 in value and then was advised I'd have to purchase a six pence carrier bag. A sharp pang of annoyance went through me, not quite enough to walk out and say "screw you" but it was there. I didn't argue and maybe I should of because after all the customer is always right. Fortunately I had a carrier bag which was holding a book and used it for my items. It advertised a different shop and so Smiths' lost out on free advertising. Even Marks and Spencers are getting in on this act. Now, if I am spending money on items from a shop the least they can do is provide me with a free bag so I can carry those items away. I don't think it's all down to the green lobby going crazy. It's nothing more than a rouse to skim off a few more pennies of profit for shops in a recession. Yep, it's all about screwing the customer even more.

So I nearly got screwed by Smiths. But am simmering away on how to get my own back. If people are now expected to bring their own carrier bags then it doesn't matter what those carrier bags have written on them. I was wondering about the logo "Smiths is too tight to give me a carrier bag so I bought my own."

I am a responsible person. I don't go throwing plastic bags out in the streets and littering the world, which other morons do. I usually keep my bag and use them to put rubbish in, they are handy rubbish bags. But the green lobby of this world has come to the conclusion plastic bags are killing the planet. I'm sure they are not, but rather it's the morons who dispose of them incorrectly who are killing the world. So because of some moron or rather many other morons in the world I now am forced to buy my own bag. Thing is, I'm not going to buy my own bag and I don't see why I should. So I've got to get into the routine of carrying a ruck sack or some other carrier with me permanently.

Aside from my annoying experience in Smiths. I went to a local shop and spent only a few pounds, to which they automatically gave me a bag to carry the few items I had bought. No questions were asked. So now to lead a revolt. It might be a one man revolt but it seems to me I can put my purchased items in any bag I so want. I really wonder who the shops would react if the masses of shoppers walked out with their own plastic bag castigating the mean fisted retailers who they'd just bought the items from. Sounds like a pretty good idea.

No comments: