Wednesday, March 24, 2010

One drug is just like the other even if its twelve times more expensive

I had a headache today. One of those splitters, the type where on occasion the pain was so much I felt I was going to lose my balance and fall over. Like a skittle, a human skittle. In search of rapid relief I thought the best thing to do was to go to a local store which has a pharmacy. I spoke to the counter assistant and asked her recommendation on some drugs I'd picked up off the shelf. She gave me some advice then went and fetched the pharmacist. The green packet I chose had the right wording on it consumer wise. It advertised how it worked fast and was good for both headaches and migraines. It contained paracetamol. The pharmacist asked me some questions and then explained this wonderful looking packet of pills I had chosen would be no different from any other packet of paracetamol. As there was already a 20 pence packet under my desk in the Fish Factory and the ones I had thought about were about twelve times more expensive, there was only one conclusion. They were returned back to the shelf. The pharmacist advised I should see my GP because it seems over the counter drugs would not be effective enough. Then I was informed to drink plenty of water, because being dehydrated is a big reason for headaches and to not take any stimulants, such as coffee or tea. This again is a little odd because you will find some manufacturers of paracetamol will do a version which has caffeine included. Oh yes, and further not to drink alcohol. Seeing as I was sobre and on the edge of falling over drinking a pint would very likely of made me lose balance.

The pharmacist had was good in her job. She had the qualities of someone who knew what they were talking about and was able to listen to me as a customer. She also did try and recommend another product if I was feeling feverish, but I could see this was a second thought and she was then working in her capacity as a big store pharmacist trying to sell something else. No not for me.

There is no doubt in my mind, unless I'm tipsy, I have got to see my GP. If I don't I could end up falling over all over the place without so much as a drop of alcohol pass my lips. Such a thing would border on catastrophe.

No comments: