Friday, August 27, 2010

Don't get distracted or your trousers could fall down

The power of distraction is an amazing thing.  There I was this morning, getting ready for work, putting the effort in to look smart, smell nice and straighten my tie when I sat down for just a moment to open a bill and look over it.  My concentration had temporarily been switched from one thing to another.  I looked at the figures, made some estimates, thought a bit then realised I had to get out of the door as time ticked by.  As it always does when it is in short supply and you have to be somewhere.  Coat on and out of the door, walking down the road, reached the stairs to a flyover and then realised I wasn't fully dressed.  I had forgotten to put on my belt.  Swift calculations went through my mind.  The complex calculus of whether it was worth going back to the house and threading a belt through my trousers, how long it would take.  This was then weighed up against the possibility of my trousers falling down.  Whether I would last the morning without something approaching embarrassing happening.  I took the gamble.  So throughout the morning my shirt kept riding up and needed tucking back in.  I tugged repeatedly at the loops of my trousers, just giving them an assured upward pull and support.  Fortunately nothing happened.  I was still fat enough to keep them suspended.  A shame to say, but yes the fat-man syndrome had a comforting practical purpose.  Lunchtime came and out I went, first thing before the eat-as-much-as-you-like-Chinese was a belt.  After the Chinese though, I really didn't need it.

I have to purchase a ticket to see the wonderful Sparkling Eyes and Rock Chick.  The thought brings a smile to my face and a happy demenour.  I just can't wait to see her.  We had a chat on the phone the other night and before I knew it I had been tangled up in a web of confusion.  I was flabbergasted and puzzled, scratching my head and wondering how I'd gotten there.  Sparkling laughed whereas I couldn't think of what to say, except it didn't bother me because I was very happy anyway.  But I do wonder if she used the secret Ninja art of distraction as well, except I can't tell when it was she used it.  She must have several black belts.

Tomorrow is Saturday, of course.  I will be getting up early because I have been asked to open up the Fish Factory.  As there is a big pile of fish waiting for me to prepare I felt there was no real choice.  If I didn't get on with it the sell by date was going to come back and hit me with a big wiff.  Work is beginning to tire me, but at the same time I am happy and energized by it.  Five months have now passed since I moved from being a little fish to a middle sized fish.  It's amazing how quickly the time has passed, I am always kept busy, and get lots of distractions.  The problem with distractions are they always take you away from something which is very important and must be dealt with.  Which is very annoying, because of all the things you get to learn, if your attention is diverted the thing you only partially managed to do is going to come back and bite you in the backside harder than a bionic jawed Rottweiler.  It brings tears to the eyes just thinking about it.  Better not get distracted then.

No comments: