Saturday, October 13, 2012

Nepalise chicken fried rice and Humbug

Today rather than go to a Chinese lunch I tried a Nepalese inspired lunch.  The cafè is ran by Nepalese who haven't quite got the hang of spelling English.  Bacon was spelt as Beckon, and Chow Mein as Choumean.  At first it was confusing as I saw the menu and the words and had a problem reading them.  I mean it's not what it says but rather what it sounds like. Thankfully the pictures were a good clue and the taste of the chicken fried rice did not reflect the same errors as the misspelt words.  None of it was mean in any sense of the word, wicked might be used but not mean. It was fresh, the plate of food wasn't as large as I usually get but these Nepalese people are somewhat shorter and smaller in stature so their portions probably reflect this. Big fat Europeans like big fat portions of food, we are following the transatlantic trend in food size, and related illnesses as well. It wont be long before we are called the Big Bums of the World.  No mean feet for such a small country, but ever growing faster country (UK).

So meal finished and I sit in a nice pub, which normally isn't as busy as it is today.  Where have all these people come from I ask myself?  It must be the sun, a little sun and every Tom, Dick and Harriet have to get out to enjoy it, I wish they didn't have to enjoy it in my pub though. It's too busy.  People make noise.  Adults bring children, and children are even more noisy.  Humbug. A baby crawls about the floor while it's mother stands guard watching where it goes.  One arm in front of the other, it marches in goose step fashion, corduroy dungarees shine the lacquered floor.  Another woman comes in with a pram.  For the toffs a baby is another fashion accessory.  Humbug.  All this disturbance and the constant din of voices around me is bad enough, but it's been rounded off by a new member of staff giving me a coffee like nats piss. Therefore the coffee last longer than any normal coffee should last.  It may even go a little cold. The pub will lose out giving me nat's piss coffee, for it has the power to make my wallet tight, tighter than a hundred year old clam.  Humbug.  I dislike pretentious clientèle as much as people who esteem their working class as though it is a badge wrapped up in a blanket of ignorance.  I can never understand why many working class people don't strive for self education. It is a breath of fresh air to hear a voice of intelligence and reason in any situation, it cuts through toffs and the highly ignorant working class.  But unfortunately is despised by both classes. Education doesn't just level a field it rises above it, so does the ability to voice an opinion in the face of perceived authority. When in reality nobody has authority, it's all perceived.

During one conversation this week, chatting to Sparkling while in a Humbug mood, which I couldn't shake off, she started to sing Monty Python's "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life," a half smile erupted on my face.  Then Sparkles began the whistling bit, the singing was funny the whistling not. The conversion of high frequency sound waves over two mobiles led to an awful screech which went through my head and echoed on the way out. I nearly fell over by the impact.  It could of been a grenade exploding right next to my ear, it bowled me over. It hurt. I didn't get out of the blues; but sometimes you can only remove such feelings by re-viewing the world, the experience of it and by stop being an idiot. Yet the idiot hat can get super glued to your head and be difficult to remove. A little like a Humbug attitude, they're one and the same really.

The coffee lasted an hour, half a pint later and I'm feeling quite a bit chilled. Yep, my view of the world has changed.  People who had invaded my hideaway retreat from the stresses and strains of life have gone as well.  Eaten their overpriced lunches and ran back off to their overpriced homes.  Even the taste of Humbug is going. What was that line again?  Always look on the bright side of life...

No comments: