Thursday, May 23, 2013

The talking shoe

Squeaky shoes are an annoyance. The thing is you never know when you have bought the shoe if it is going to squeak.  It's only after being worn a couple of times it then lets out this sound, this irritating sound, on each and every step. It's like you want to stand and stair accusingly at the shoe for being a pain in the arse, point your finger at it and then give it a piece of your mind. This will do no good. It's a shoe. It doesn't care whether you are annoyed at it, it has no feelings, you will continue to wear the shoe and it will continue to squeak. The other option is to take the offending shoe back to the shop. So rather than one both have to be returned. It would be rather odd to try and return a single shoe and I'm sure the shop assistants would give a funny stare to the customer who tried. Furthermore, they'd probably not give you another pair of shoes, after all it still works, it's not a particular fault which can pointed out as effecting the wear and tear. The shoe has no emotions, and the squeak is not actually a yelp, a cry or a whisper, it is just a squeak even when it may be perceived as something else. The more attention it is given the more irritating it becomes. The squeak is drowned out by other noise when walking down the street, such as traffic and the routine of commuting. Yet, once you have entered a building and it is quieter there, the squeak pops up again like it had been hiding and now found the best opportunity to come out and play. To be noticed. It's not the noise which gets you, its the squeak in a quiet place which gets noticed. The persistent, little twerp, the persistent and very irritating little twerp. I'd like to give my shoe a good kicking but if I did my foot would feel the pain and I'd hurt myself. What options do I have? There are few if any. Wear the shoes and wear them out. Put up with it.

Alternatively the squeak could become my friend. I should really look forward to hearing the sound. It's comforting. I know it is there. It is something reliable and in today's age there are very few things which are reliable. As the squeak persists I can get to love it and listen to it with fondness, it is what it is, and no more. It requires acceptance. At which point it will cease to be an irritation and a pain. I in turn may seek out quiet places so I can walk and listen to my squeak, feel comforted by it as though the squeak is a friend. Again, such things are hard to come by nowadays. The shoes are new and I am old. It is a comforting new change to the experience of life. Who would ever of believed it, from foe to reliable friend in the blink of an eye. I look down and see the black shoe and no more is it offensive, it is not somebody I used to know, it is something I do know, and something I close to my feet. Until it's time for a new pair. For now my squeaky friend I'll enjoy your company.

No comments: