Saturday, February 07, 2009

It's a clearly bent banana

It's good to read a book and find the language fluid. From this, comes clarity in what the author is portraying through their narrative. I've been reading a book titled "The Book Thief" and think it is the kind of book nearly anyone can pick up and enjoy. Not everyone, just most people would enjoy it. It's the story of a little girl growing up in Germany during the second world war, of her life and the scraps she gets into. The viewpoint is good as well, though I'll not reveal it here. Each night I try and read a few pages just before I sleep. It seems to be the only quite time I get. Life just rolls past, but it's these moments of quite I like and of course the company of Sparkling.

There just seems to be so many distractions around. Be this in noise, or other things to do. It's as if the spirit of procrastination has visited me and now sits perched on my shoulder. But the one thing I am keeping up with and putting effort into every day is this blog. Regardless of only having one reader other than myself. Are there too many blogs in the world so mine becomes lost and no one really wants to know what is going on? Further should it really matter to me and what are my reasons for doing this? Firstly it is for myself, secondly it is for Sparkling so she gets to peak a moment of my day. Even though her days are probably much more interesting than mine and I think would get a greater audience. She just hasn't got round to starting up again. I certainly know Sparkling would say her days are much more filled than mine. But this happens when you spend the most part of your day at a fish counter.

I once read somewhere there were two rules to exercising. These can probably be applied to anything at all. The first is to start it, the second is to carry on. Make it regular and a habit. So even amongst all the distractions the time I spent here, now, writing; is focused, regular and mine. It's a quite space to think. To masticate those thoughts or any thought which comes to mind in this moment. Whether they be about time, space, blogs or bananas. Yes those yellow things with a bend in them, but they don't come back if you throw them in the air. Which is something quite different.

Most times I don't have the faintest idea where my words will take me. I could be on a bus ride to Tanzania, with the locals holding chickens they have just bought. Hot dry air and a bumpy bus. Sitting next to a very large lady who keeps smiling at me, showing the single front tooth she has left. Sweat trickles down my neck, down my forehead and into my eyes stinging them and making me blink. I sure hope this woman doesn't think I am winking at her. Damn am I going to be in trouble if Sparkling finds out. No. This is just a string of words, in a moment, on a blog. It's not real.

Lunch tomorrow: chicken, afters: bananas and custard.

No comments: