Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Snow comes kids play, ice melts things happen

At last the compacted ice is beginning to melt. But it's still slippery outside. I've heard of one incident where a man slipped over an knocked himself out, a girl from the fish factory also fell over while trying to help an elderly person and she also hit her head. Whilst last night returning home with two bags of shopping I heard a cry out behind me and turned to find a woman had fallen over. I helped her up and she told me how she had been so careful as well, I thought of my mother and hoped she'd been careful as today as well. Fortunately all was well.

Sparkling has told me some bad news about her neighbour's mother passing away today. It was sudden and unexpected. Although she was in hospital recovering from a stroke it seemed she was on the mend. I couldn't believe it when I got the news and I know Sparkling felt the same. Not only this Sparkling's bestfriend's father passed away yesterday as well. Two in two days, both from pneumonia. Mind there was some concerns about the care the hospital was providing and a question over their competency. It's very sad when people are so vulnerable they have to rely on the help of others who are not up to the job. Spakling has been upset, and while I spoke to Sparkling I felt a bit as well wishing I could of done more and feeling sorry for the neighbour and her friend.

It's funny because I was going to go straight home from the fish factory but after receiving the text I went to the pub. With the thought you never know what is going to happens, so I'd enjoy a nice pint, and I did. We chatted about the whiteout on Monday, recent films and how the snow just seemed to have a wonderful effect on cheering people up.

It's odd how the last couple of days the weather has bought both happiness and sadness. The happiness of children getting time off school and being able to take advantage of snow, and the sadness of these passing. From one extreme to the other. We usually trudge along on some middle path of mediocre, but who could of predicted two poles coming together? I could also recount Sparkling's story of how she chased after some boys who had lobbed yogurt at her car and herself, as she ran after them she shouted "come here you little bastards." It's a pity none of them fell on their backsides. But she did catch up with them later and explained in a reasoned way why they should not throw yogurt or snow balls at people they don't know.

I hear the snow is still falling in Scotland. Wrap up Sparkling and Rock Chick.

No comments: