Thursday, February 19, 2009

Typing to a Guinness

This evening a colleague from the fish factory decided it was time he paid up a bet which was lost some months ago. So we headed off to the pub. It's good collecting you winnings, and in this case I really did enjoy my pint of Guinness it went down so easy. This is what happens when I miss out a week or so of going to the pub and concentrate more on hitting the gym and doing relatively little else with my life. Other than contemplate the question of what it is all about. Life I meant. No answers yet, I'll get back to you when I've got one. No, actually I wont, because if it took me this long to find out I'm not going to give anyone else the pleasure of my painful search.

I'm getting plagued at the moment from messages from L & B man. He enjoys to try and rile me.
I don't think he is working as hard as he used to, given he only does a couple of days a week this stands to reason he's spending more time on his computer. The problem is for two nights in a row he has been vexing me. Trying to taunt me. Being of fast wit I'm able to brush of his remarks. He is a laugh though. It helps I'm being a faster typer. Actually this helps out in lots of ways. Less time spent finding the keys if you know where they already are, and don't have to look down at them.

One of the best things I ever did was to take up typing lessons. Well I was using a computer at work and didn't think two fingers would get me far, so now I use all ten. And still am hardly any further than what I should be. But sometimes it does take a while to get anywhere. I recal there was this bloke called Jimbo. He was a regular pub going person so had developed quite a large girth, one which takes years of practice to acquire. So looking at him on the outside you'd just think all he ever did was prop up the bar. It's amazing how appearances can be deceiving. What I will say about Jimbo though is his ability to type was beyond anyone else in the workplace. He could do 95 words a minute. Blimey, just think of it 95 words in a minute. Some people can barely count to 95 in a minute let alone Jimbo actually typing this many. I saw him a couple of times sit at his keyboard and it was magical. His fingers were actually like butterflies, he didn't stab, or poke his keyboard. Not a single key strike was heavy. It was just the perfect amount of pressure needed to depress. And each finger was so light, it was as though they were actually brushing the keyboard rather than striking the keys. They flowed and so did the words on the monitor. Beautiful and amazing. I'd heard stories of women saying how they could touch-type but when I saw them actually type theirs was nothing like Jimbo. The same finesse wasn't there. I've never been able to improve my typing skills much more, but if I really concentrate hard and relax I like to think I might be a little faster than when I first started. I don't know what happened to Jimbo because he was an agency member of staff which meant he found another job. I didn't even know him much as an individual, but I do know he could type and faster and more beautifully than anyone else I have seen since.

No comments: