Sunday, September 06, 2009

Beware of groan traps, worse than man traps

Hit the Fish Factory for a short stint. The night before I had psyched myself to wake up early and I did, perfectly on time. The Fish Factory is normally manic during the week, but on a weekend there is a very pleasant and relaxed quietness. It is conducive to work, especially when you have to pay attention to detail, think and analyse. I like thinking, sometimes perhaps too much, but it's possible to drop down deep into something which engrosses, then time flies by. It's the people around me who are a problem, they talk too much and some babble worse than a baby learning to speak.

As a small treat to myself after the Factory I walked across the road and took a seat overlooking the Thames. The sun was out so it was bright and I could feel the sun on my back, a strong breeze kept me cool. Meanwhile Papillon came along with to keep me company, a chapter was waiting. Before I began reading I sat down and decided to give Sparkles a ring. I had interrupted housework duties and Sparkles let out some groans about her own Fish Factory. Groaning. Before I knew it I had fallen into a groan trap. One of those discussion you just can't get out off, where a good moan comes forth about people who make the Factory scene an unpleasant experience. I got groaning away as well. Next to my surprise Sparkles was tell me I was the Grumpy Old Man (GOM) and it was natural for me to be like this but not for her, because everybody knows it. I even know it, I'm a GOM and can't get away from it. But on this occasion I started of light hearted and happy, because tomorrow I'll be heading up on a train. It was as if some kind of shift had taken place in the conversation. From perky chatty bloke to GOM. Sparkles had some how managed to shift her groany mind into my mind. Thought transference over mobile phone. She laughed at this magical feat. Whereas I was bewildered, I didn't know what had happened, how in the blink of an eye I went from one mode to the other. She had changed me, like changing the channel on a TV set, she'd just pressed a button and there I was from happy land to moany land TV. The conversation ended, I scratched my head and diverted five minutes away to Papi.

Papi didn't help much either, great, he's been a bit down lately with thoughts about his lost friend and escaping to Devil's Island. Sometimes it's necessary to escape from everybody. Ear plugs don't do it, they just dampen it. Just to think I was feeling bloody good today, like something was being achieved now I've been caught. There is one solution, a biscuit and a cup of tea. Keep your eyes off, it's mine.

No comments: