Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Con artists don't cut hair they make phone calls instead

There is a question I'd like to ask my hair dresser but am a little warey. It is: is there any other style of hair cut you can give me? This is because every time I see him, I ask for a number 3, which is the length of the trimmer thingy and by the time he has finished and I walk out it ends up as a number 1, almost bald hair cut. I've asked him for a number 2, and it's exactly the same. I am quite sure he either never attended any maths classes when growing up or does not undestand my English. He's not english himself, possibly from an eastern european country and this could be the reason. Yet, when I think about it, it has been a long time since I have been scalped by an English hair dresser. Hairdressing shops are also popping up all over the place, just like 30 years ago it would of been shoe shops, or ten years ago phone shops, or even 5 years ago pound shops. Now the in thing is hair dressers. Maybe they are in reality laundry shops. Money laundering shops. For all the dodgy dealings which are going on in this country.

Talking about dodgy dealings. On the radio the other day I heard the Nigerian government had lodged a complaint about the film called "District 9" apparently it portrayed Nigerian's in a light they did not want to be seen in. Or rather a shady not so much light. Having sat through the film and thought it rather good I can tell you what they are talking about. The complaint was how Nigerian actors played underland gang bosses taking advantage of aliens by selling them cat food at exhorbitant prices. I'm glad I'm not an alien that's for sure. However, it's odd because today I was shown a letter which was sent to someone for an outstanding debt owing to Sky TV but through a third party debt collecting company. They had also received a phone call from this third party debt recovery company, on the end of the phone was an African sounding man requesting payment of the bill. They fobbed off the phone call and later contacted Sky directly. Sky advised they had not heard of the company and there was no outstanding debt with them. Also before writing this blog I picked up an email of a telephone scam. A person rings up asking for payment on behalf of British Telecom for a bill outstanding. Even if the individual does not use BT the caller says their phone company is renting the line from BT. Then if the caller thinks the con is not being bought they say they will cut the phone off as proof. Telling the recipient to put the phone down. If you then put the phone down and pick it up to make a call there is no tone at all. When the phone is replaced a second time the con artist rings up again. This is a simple trick. When the caller originally rang up they do not terminate the call as the receiver is put down on them, they stay on the line and press the mute button. Then the victim trys to make a phone call on a call which hasn't been terminated in the first place. The victim hears no dial tone and nothing happens when they dial out. Next they put the phone down. The con artist hears the phone put down a second time, terminates the call and rings up. With smug smile as they reel the unsuspecting sap. The the email also stated it was a man with an African sounding voice on the end of the phone. This is not to say either the same person is doing a scam with Sky is doing a scam with fake BT calls, it's probably someone quite different. Though you may pretty much wonder where they come from.

My head is itching. I know the hairdresser is quite a nice bloke, I always feel quite relaxed when I get my hair cut and just sit back sometimes even getting close to dozing off. The one think I'll not do though is answer my phone, which would be rude wouldn't it?

No comments: