Monday, September 26, 2011

A cheaper way to shop - stay at home

This morning when I left the house I slipped a hand in my trouser pocket.  It felt odd like the pocket was folded.  Then I pulled out 15 quid.  Blimey what a nice start to the day I thought.  A little richer than I had expected.  There are other days though where I wonder my money has gone.  It seemed to have evaporated.  This especially happens when going shopping.  If I never shopped then I'd be pretty wealthy.  On the other hand I'd probably be wearing rags and half starved to death.   Sometimes you just have to do a little shopping regardless.  Odd to how when shopping at a supermarket I'd expect there would be some bargains to be had.  Yet this is not true at all.  Just go to different shops and then you'll find certain items are more expensive in one and less expensive in another.  For instance razors.  The brand of disposable razors I buy in one shop is nearly fifty per cent less than a supermarket.  Another prime example of this is Caspian peppers.  In a market I can get 3 for a pound whilst in a supermarket they cost 70 pence each.  What a rip off.  It's about being shopping savvy. 

It will not be long before christmas is upon us.  It's strange how some christmas purchases are liked more than others and they may be the cheapest things bought.  Again, this is where I'd strongly say go to a market, you'd be surprising what unusual things can be found.  Not one of those poncy arty affairs, no, a good common outside market which has been established up and running for years.  Arty ones are to be avoided like the plague, unless you happen to be a tourist.  Tourists can expect to be ripped off.  Worst thing is the holiday probably cost an arm and a leg then the spending cost another arm and a leg.  Well at least they got their teeth.  Unless they happen to be made of gold, keep your gob shut tourists is all I can say.

Today has been an unexpectedly lucky day.  Unless that 15 quid was an advance payment from the tooth fairy.  Then it might not be.

No comments: