Friday, September 30, 2011

The dentists prognosis

Unfortunately the toothache turned out to be one of those pains you wish never had happened.  I sat in the dentist chair, he had a look.  Poked about an instrument and then made an announcement "I can't see anything wrong with the filling. It must be that you have a fissure.  Each time you eat something the pressure on the tooth opens it up.  Then when you stop, the fissure closes up."  I understood what he meant, but I didn't know what it would result in.  It was then I found there were only two options he had under consideration.  First to pull the tooth and second to put an inlay, which was at my suggestion.  Except of course the price of an inlay is a hell of a lot more than a mere extraction.  But I'm attached to my teeth.  I'd like to keep them as long as possible before they day they call me Gummy.  Before the day I have to reach over and see my teeth starring back at me in a disembodied smile from the bottom of a glass.  Yes, like anyone else I am afraid of the downhill struggle against age and being toothless.  Thanks to a not so kind bloody tooth fairy.  The cost in financial terms was going to be slightly over £200.  A lot.  Before he did any further prognosis he had to "chaff" away at my tooth to see how far the fissure went.  The reason was, if it actually wasn't a deep fissure then it would be easier to correct.  Just my undeniable luck, he had to stop as he was now approaching the nerve.  Great.  In a short while he re packed the tooth with some temporary filling and said I'd better book a longer appointment for next week so an impression could be taken.  I think being on first name terms with my dentist may not be a good thing.

A half hour after seeing my butcher, I mean dentist.  Who is as I've said before a very nice butcher, I mean dentist.  I then had to hit the Fish Factory.  Where I was to take a meeting and chair.  There were 8 people present.  My face had turned into a numbed pin cushion.  My tongue felt it had swollen up on one side.  Then I was unable to talk normally.  It was slow and slurred.  So went the following two  hours.  My next appointment is the same time next week.  Unfortunately, you guessed it.  I got another meeting booked.  I hope I can feel my face then.

No comments: