Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Something Happened - a good read

I have recently picked up a book which I had not fully read before.  It's called "Something Happened" written by Joseph Heller.  The same author of "Catch 22."  I read somewhere this book, Something Happened was better than his earlier novel Catch 22.  It's an old copy, but regardless of how old it is the words don't change.  New impressions of the book may have better looking covers, their pages will be fresh and not as faded as my copy, but mine has more character.  I bought it in a sale and the price sticker is still on the front, it only cost £1.  A bargain.  Having a look on Amazon I can buy this same book for about six times the value I originally bought it for.  The cover of the latest impression hasn't changed at all from the impression I have, which was printed in 1995.  Which makes my copy 16 years old.  Blimey.  This book is older than half of my nephews and a niece.  I look at the book tenderly and know as I travel to Scotland tomorrow I will have at least 6 hours in which to put in a good reading session.  Providing I don't get too bored with it.  Is it an odd personality trait I ask when to me the thought of such a reading session is actually thrilling.  I know it will be even better to see Sparkling tomorrow, but to get time to read it's like a massive luxury.  An injection of adrenaline to an adrenaline starved junky.  A bowl of rice to someone who has eaten nothing but potatoes for the last year or two.  I am actually happy.  Funny that, interesting, but funny. 

Maybe it is a double excitement hit, reading then seeing Sparkling.  If I don't get a chance to talk to anyone on the train I'll be able to talk the hind legs of a donkey when I get off and see Sparkles.  Which is exactly when I get told to shut up because she has to concentrate on driving in the rush hour traffic.  I'll be sitting there in the car, if Sparkles does pick me up, then I'll be sitting there in a bursting bubble of happiness.  A champagne cocktail.  I so can't wait to see Sparkles. 

Unfortunately I have been advised Rock Chick has gone down with food poisoning.  She had eaten some prawns which were out of date.  Poor thing.  And Rock being a University student of food hygiene and nutrition you would of thought she'd be the first person to know what not to eat.  Oh well, maybe next time she wont listen to her mum when she tells her not to worry about the sell by date.  Or use by date.  I'm sure Rock will survive though.  And if she doesn't and needs someone to talk to her tomorrow, who is rolling down a hill faster than a round cheese, then I'm going to be the one.  Whether it is reading the book or hitting Scotland shortly I could talk now for a bloody long time about all sorts of nonsense and would probably need to be told to shut up by everyone who heard me.  Must remember to take some ear plugs.  And a book of course.

No comments: