Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Dental appointment and slow eating

I have the dentist this morning.  Great.  Well it won't be too bad, because he is a nice man and gentle.  There is something about having a concerned attentive dentist, who does his best to make it easy.  Like letting you breath and stop by raising your hand.  Who is concerned about pain management.  I got a little mouth as well, so opening it for sustained periods gives my jaw an ache.  He is also good with the needle.  I barely get to see him plunge the thing into my gum for the anesthetic.  I like the guy, he's friendly.  He has been my dentist now for twenty plus years, a hell of a long time.  In the next ten years or so I'll have to find another one, which I know will be hell.  Finding one who cares rather than sees the patient and their dental chair as a conveyor belt.  It takes time to build up a relationship with a dentist.  Pain though is probably the worst bit, if only it were completely painless.

The good news will be, that later today I will be able to eat properly.  When going through a traumatic event I generally say to myself, this time tomorrow it will be all over.  Or this time next week.  To have something to look forward to.  It has been restricting eating on one side of my mouth.  But at the same time it has taught me to savour my food and be patient in eating slowly.  It has been a lesson of sorts.  Eating slowly and carefully.  If there were some behaviour I'd like to endure for the rest of my life, this would probably be one of them.  I just hope old habits don't come back too quickly.

No comments: