Sunday, September 25, 2011

Time to read a book

I have this urge to read a book. Not just any book it has to be a classic and I know which one.  It’s 1984, by Eric Blair (George Orwell).  Firstly there is something about established classics of literature.  It doesn’t matter from what country they are because every country has it’s own icons.  Someone who the world agrees was a great writer must of done something of significance.  People may or may not agree on the importance or the style of a writer, but the fact there may be controversy means this person gave the world a kicking.  They had something to say which was listened to and struck at the heart of society.  Certainly in the case of Mr Blair who had a thing about social injustice in the world.  He died at the age of 47 which by today’s standards is probably young.  So what this urge is, is a desire to have a moment of quality and time. 

It seems there is very little time lately to do anything.  I get on a train in the morning and head off to the Fish Factory.  It is a short ride, ten minutes and I am at my destination.  Followed by a further five minute walk.  This is hardly enough to turn one or two pages of a book, no sooner have I opened it than I am closing it.  I am one of those people who can read a book while walking.  But it still doesn’t help because I just don’t have enough of a reading moment.  It’s now a matter of making this space, finding it in some other way or context.  I’ve got a detective novel I had began reading a few months ago.  It’s on a table in my bedroom.  I indulge myself just before going to bed but this I don’t even do now.  Where have all the spaces in my day gone?  I have gotten into a habit of waking up early.  I can get by on six hours sleep a day, with the occasional nap.  Yet although I am awake for longer in a day there is less achieved.  I know what is happening, it’s an addiction to watching TV.  TV is the devil incarnate, square, hypnotising and brain dumbing. There’s the solution.  Stop watching so much TV and get on with life; simple.

So now I have to change a habit and restrict it or replace it.  Computers and the internet are not always a good thing.  They can control you as much as you control them.  It could be something to do with personality.  Some people are easily addictive to things.  Smoking for example, chocolate, alcohol, food.  A little bit of something can be satisfying and good.  Too much and it becomes dominant and without realisation it has become something else, part of your personality.  Well lucky I’m not an addict to bungee jumping, putting my head into lions mouths (if it could fit) or crocodile hunting.  If only.  Now that would be something to talk about and maybe I’d get more interest to the few readers who serendipitously visit this page.  What a thought, become a serendipitous crocodile hunter.  Yes.  A new pastime for 2012,  well, I do have a book to read first.

No comments: