Saturday, April 16, 2011

French Detectives and another go at Peri Peri Chicken

I'm watching a French detective murder serial called Spiral.  It's very good.  Although we all know TV detectives and their actions are not true to life this one has a kind of realism to it and quite an appeal.  Especially when the cops catch a bad guy and give him a little bit rough treatment, not an actual beating up just a little manhandling.  They also seem to be running all over the place chasing after suspects at the slightest of inclinations.  The main character a female detective has her hands full and is slightly crazy, very serious but on the edge of sanity and a break down.  They desperately want to catch a murderer and hope by lots of energy and headless chicken impersonations they will catch the culprit.  Unsuccessfully at the moment I'll add.  The French judicial system is run differently from the British one.  For the head detectives are also responsible to a Judge, who follows the progress of the case.  He also happens to be a serious man, completely true to the law.  It's odd but when I see professionalism I know it and like it.  Anyone who is a true professional and not a fly by night glory seeker is usually true to their profession because they like what they do.  The best are always serious about what they do and practice.

Talking of practice I had another go at making Peri Peri chicken today.  Using Jamie Oliver's 30 minute recipe.  Typically I forgot one of the ingredients after I had cooked the chicken for a period of time.  Oh well.  Just when I'm trying to improve my memory I miss something out.  I'd written everything down on a piece of paper but then I had left out the one ingredient and only remembered after most of the work had been done.  Never mind.  Except this time round the chicken didn't taste of lemon as much as it did the last time I did it.  It had a lot more of a spicy kick but as the chicken hadn't been marinated it didn't go all the way through.  Jamie didn't do a marinade in his either, the idea being it can be cooked in 30 minutes.  Mine took me just over an hour.  Better than my previous effort.  But no Portuguese tarts this time, as I still need to get a muffin tin.  I cooked for Layabout Boy and Big Momma, even though she had already eaten the notion of more food could not be refused.  I must admit I do get an enjoyment out of cooking.  Oh to search for a muffin tin, where will I find one?

For those who are interested the London Marathon is being run tomorrow.  I wonder if they'd like a bit of Peri Peri chicken, I got a feeling it might not go round if they all want some.  Never mind.  The rest can take a rain checque on my tarts.

No comments: