Tuesday, April 05, 2011

An unsolicited phone call

There I was sitting down and enjoying a packet of hoola hoops when the phone rang.  It turned out to be my broadband service provider.  It was a woman called Emma, but although she gave me a very English sounding name I'm sure she was not English and was likely from another country.  One on the Asian continent.  She proceeded to talk about my service saying she wanted an alternative email address.  This was because I've never really used the email address they gave me, and this was where they sent the online bills.  The alternative would be to send paper bills and increase the charge because of this.  She then had to ask me some security questions.  I said it was her who rang me up and couldn't see why I should have to answer any security questions.  To bring a very long story to an abrupt ending I got pissed off and said if they were going to charge me extra for a paper bill I would cease their service. I managed to keep Emma on the phone for a good twenty minutes.  Thinking this will sort out unsolicited telephone calls from people in different countries who I have problems understanding what they are saying.  Bloody woman kept interrupting me and not letting me get on with what I wanted to say.  I must say, I did take a certain personal enjoyment out of being awkward.  Unfortunately I'm now having to look for an alternative broadband provider. 

So I serifed the net and found a site which advised of providers in my area.  Then I went through the process of testing the phone line.  And each time I put in my address and phone number details the web site's rejected it.  If I didn't know any better this would mean I couldn't get broadband even though I was actually using it.  I then took to phoning up a couple of providers.  It was at this point I was basically told if I wanted another provider I would have to change my telephone number as well.  This was because my telephone had been transferred once before.  I really do not understand what is going on with it all.  So an unsolicited phone call from a company I use but will not mention because I do not want to give them any further publicity has left me in a quandary.  It's now taking me more effort to sort out a new broadband provider than it would of been to have answered Emma's bloody questions in the first place.  Understanding and recognising this makes me even madder and more determined to find a new broadband provider and not change my telephone number.

Next time the bloody phone rings I'm not going to answer it. 

No comments: