Friday, April 08, 2011

What to look for in a new phone - an old one

Perhaps it is part of being old and knowing what it is I want.  So I have now made an order on Amazon for a replacement mobile phone.  It's exactly the same make and model I had before.  I spend hours and  hours looking at the new touch screen ones, checking out YouTube and reading reviews, but I just couldn't justify the cost of something which is supposed to be a phone not a computer combined everything else object.  A mobile phone is for making phone calls and sending text messages.  Anything else is a plus.  One person extolled the virtues of their iPhone to me.  However, I really didn't grasp it.  Cost versus functionality.  They confessed it didn't always give them great reception, of having to sit in a certain position to make their phone calls (while in the office of all places).  I have even seen the wonderful tablet Apple computers and even though they look really flashy, they are full of novelty value which some people see as surpassing what a real laptop computer would be capable of doing.  They actually don't, but they are nice.  Functionality of a phone is what matters.  It must do what it says on the box.  There shouldn't be any of this sitting in a certain place or doing a headstand to get reception.  It should hold a charge which would last at least four days if not longer when switched off at night.  Who wants to spend their life charging up a phone?  Not anyone in their right mind.  Not me.  I can tell you.  I mean.  What about the world electricity supply and being green?  These have got to be big factors.  And as for the cost well... Do the manufacturers thing money grows on trees.  We're in a recession, and I been checking out a lot of trees lately so can say from first hand experience.  Money does not grow on trees.  Not the ones I seen.  Unless someone has got there before me and stripped them bare except for the leaves and the branches. 

So now I'll sit and wait on it arriving.  As well as taking out another contract.  A contract which will not cost an arm and a leg.  One with a company who will ensure they are there for one thing.  Supplying me with a good phone line when my Yoga lessons haven't paid off. 

No comments: