Monday, June 08, 2009

A Caveman without hair

Did the hair thing today. I asked my Barber to make it look like I still got some left. So requested a number 3 trimmer. However, something happened. He seemed to get carried away, as he does. I came out looking like I'd had a number one. Sent a picture of it to Sparkling and she replied saying it looked like I was going really thin on top. Should I add there was a lol on her text. My Barber had an even shorter cut, but he didn't shave it he told me. So there was this thin layer of bristle all over his head. He still looked like a skin head to me. And although I said it looked cool, I wasn't sure if he understood. Cool as in not hot, not cool as in fashionable. This is probably on account of English being his second language. Before he just looked like an ordinary respectable bloke, now he had even dressed to match the skin head hair cut. He asked me whether I had recognised him. I said I had, but he did look a lot different. He seemed chuffed to think he looked like someone else rather than his usual self. Maybe he was going for the same look with me. All I know is Sparkling laughed at the picture I sent. The lol was a clue. Especially as she repeated it at least 3 times. Damn don't matter what I do I can't get away with aging.

I've had the day off work and spent some time checking out DIY videos on YouTube. I got to thinking these builder types who charge an arm and a leg for work are charging for something a competent person could at least try and possibly succeed in doing. What they have is practice. Whereas I don't. They also have years of knowledge, and skills. Which they would have developed over the years. But, I used to think my own vocation as Fish Factory pencil sharpener was not much of a skill. Then realised as I watched these videos, I do have skills. Pencil sharpening is a skill. Although my skills are not as physical as theirs, the work I do they wouldn't get anywhere near learning to do in a few months. To be any good it would take a few years. Whilst checking out some dry walling, I thought, it's not as difficult as I'd of thought. The only thing is these building types are pretty lucky their skills are kept hidden almost. Kept in house, by the very type of persons who do them. They close the shop. So to say. Because to be in the building game you have to have a different mentality. As a colleague of mine at the Fish Factory said, they are neanderthals. He used to be a foreman on a building site. He said nice people there wouldn't get on, they'd become victims of thugs. You know what though? I bet a conscientious and intelligent builder would probably do a better job all round than some of the cave men. Only thing is, he'd have to remember to take his club into work.

No comments: