Wednesday, June 17, 2009

An eight year old is a good teacher

I saw Monster boy today and he taught me not to play with an eight year old unless I am prepared to lose and the eight year old is allowed to make up the rules as he goes along. Of course this is a problem for me as an adult, however I am humble enough to realise I can't be a kid because he is the kid and I have to let him win at everything. Whether it is constantly pushing me off a low level balancing beam or being tackled when I have the football. Except his tackle isn't the normal kind of tackle, because it begins with a good hard kick in the ankle first then he gets the ball. In these circumstances I have discovered it's best just to let him have the ball but to run around after him as though I desperately want the ball myself. To which he laughs hysterically and says things of the like "come on fat boy bring it on." And there I was thinking small children should respect their elders and treat them with dignity. This obviously goes out the window when you're playing on their territory, then everything goes in the name of fun. All I can say is this is a wonderful lesson to learn and I enjoyed it as much as he did, it was great.

In a few days time I will be seeing Sparkling and Rock Chick again. I've been told there will be a jazz festival when I'm up, it will be fantastic. I can't wait to listen to some live music and get slowly drunk in the company of Sparkling. Rock Chick hits her seventeenth birthday and is more of seventeen going on thirty. Oh to be seventeen all over again. No, maybe not, to tell the truth I'm happier now than those many years ago, and happiness is a great place to be.

Bring me sunshine.....

No comments: